Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: corrupt this,corrupt that.Is there an end to that?  (Read 16330 times)

2k dummy

Re: corrupt this,corrupt that.Is there an end to t
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2004, 04:41:06 PM »
Suggestion:
Start with a new, fresh, clean bootdisk. DO NOT create the boot disk from the machine that is giving trouble. If necessary, go to your good machine and download a boot disk from bootdisk.com. Make sure the boot disk is write protected BEFORE you attempt to use it. Boot up the problem machine and fdisk and format from the new boot disk. Reinstall Windows from an original Windows CD (no copied CD). Scan for viruses on any and all disks you are using to install or restore progams from.

ArabGuy

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2004, 04:49:03 PM »
thx 2k for the suggestion, but believe me i did exactly what u did, and that did not fix it.
a comp technitian told me to do that, and then the 2nd time i went to his shop and we did what u said together...nothing near good news

Computer_Commando

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2004, 04:56:23 PM »
for computer commando:
I thought that it was My ram... Yes it is DDR ram...how do i make sure that my setting are correct? I did go into bios and made my pc "optimal" insted of default...

Does memory speed "match" FSB speed?  Try "Default" instead of "Optimal".  With all these problems, I still think it's a memory issue.

ArabGuy

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2004, 05:05:17 PM »
Computer Commando,
The thing is I a starting to believe that the problem is coming from the motherboard and the cmos setup. even though I did update my cmos recintly, and the setup went back to default (manufature settings).
so Im not sure. I did once a test and tried 2 sticks of 256mb SDRAM, and i was disappointed as i found out my pc is reading 449mb insted of 512. i tried the 2 sticks on another pc and that pc reported 512 fine.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2004, 05:26:21 PM »
...I did update my cmos recintly, and the setup went back to default (manufature settings)...

Your motherboard.

A recent BIOS update:  030117 01/17/03 AMI® BIOS. Adjust timing for stability and compatibility

Latest Version:  030310 03/06/03 AMI® BIOS. Patch code for 'auto power on' issue
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/p4vxasd2_5x.html
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 05:28:12 PM by Computer_Commando »

ArabGuy

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2004, 05:44:03 PM »
Yep thats the version i have

Computer_Commando

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2004, 05:59:35 PM »
Your motherboard says Award BIOS.  BIOS updates say AMI BIOS.  Which one is it?

Award BIOS Settings
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 06:02:37 PM by Computer_Commando »

ArabGuy

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2004, 06:19:03 PM »
ah man...
this is weird. u just got me confused, but ur right
I got the only update they had..i set it up to default and i left it like that
*censored* too many things can go wrong...i hate this
im getting fed up with the bs
the cheapest motherboard that i can find is like 400 dollars, i cant pay that for a motherboard. Im a broke Arab guy, for now

Computer_Commando

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2004, 06:29:36 PM »
...u just got me confused, but ur right
I got the only update they had..i set it up to default and i left it like that
*censored* too many things can go wrong...

It's printed right on the BIOS chip, AMI or Award.  It's probably AMI even though data sheet says Award.  It's a timing problem, in Windows hard drives uses DMA (direct memory access).  If timing is a little off, symptoms are exactly as you describe.  Previous BIOS update fixed a timing problem, so I am pretty sure that's what's wrong.

Maybe time to contact ECS?  Maybe they'll just send you a new mobo, could be something they know about.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 06:31:59 PM by Computer_Commando »

ArabGuy

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2004, 06:58:15 PM »
Commando
I think u have my problem's solution, i think it would be great if we were able to chat live, thats better and faster way to get this problem solved
whatever communication tool like MSN, IRC, aim, whatever u have i will get the program and try to chat with u My email is [email protected] if u want to keep whatever info private from forums

I cant figure out how to get the timing to be correct so i dunno, i checked out those websites but they just give general info

merlin_2

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2004, 12:24:31 AM »
have you recieved any checksum errors>http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html

i still go for a boot sector or bios virus on this one .......have you tried taking out the cmos battery fro five minutes and replacing it......**caution is needed**.....if unsure dont do it.... and the hard drive saga   if you have re-installed winxp on top of win98 thats where the drive space has gone......use a fresh boot disk and fdisk/format the drive.......and i think you have not done any of the suggestions made !!!like i have tried this and that...........
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 12:24:46 AM by merlin_2 »

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #41 on: December 15, 2004, 06:17:31 AM »
    Format the harddrive and use it on your good computer. Make sure your good computer harddrives are removed to prevent infection. Try it. Then we will know once and for all if it is a virus or motherboard problem.

ArabGuy

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2004, 03:06:22 PM »
    Ya i tried that Suggestion...
    I put the hard drive that is in the problem computer ON my good computer.
    It works perfectly, thats why i know its not the harddrive

ArabGuy

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2004, 03:10:17 PM »
    Merlin_2
    when i say my computer reads 31.4GB, and that 50 GB is gone and the win xp cant recognize (but some program i think it was norton doctor did recognize that all space is 74.soemthing equaling 80 gb) that means that there is something other than files taking up space...i dont think windows files will take 50 gb of space if i installed win xp over win 98 from what i understand...maybe it would but i highly doubt it

Computer_Commando

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2004, 04:35:30 PM »
    Questions:

1.  Are you overclocking?
    2.  I assume you have motherboard manual?
    3.  CPU adjustment voltages are proper?
    4.  Is DDR memory DDR200, DDR266, DDR333?
    5.  What are BIOS settings for DRAM Clock/Drive Control?

You said:  "...I did go into bios and made my pc "optimal" insted of default..."  Try loading Fail-Safe Defaults instead of Optimized Defaults.

Try this free diagnostic tool Click here.
    « Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 04:41:44 PM by Computer_Commando »