Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IP Address  (Read 9592 times)

PowerfulMan

IP Address
« on: April 13, 2004, 01:50:24 AM »
After changing from dial-up to broadband and switching to using an ethernet hub/router, I suddenly get a useless IP address - "10.0.0.1". What can I do to get one I can use again?

Joleen

Re: IP Address
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 05:47:07 AM »
Should post this in hardware but.. what IP are you getting on the router?

natesneat2000

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 07:36:57 AM »
Actually, that's (somewhat) normal; I have a Linksys router/WAP/4-port switch, and all my PCs get IP addresses like 192.168.1.100. Those aren't real IP addresses; they were set aside for use on LANs. Part of the router's job is to be a DHCP server, which means give out IP addresses (like ^) to anyone set to be DHCP client (how it should be). You should be able to go into router settings and set DHCP range (or turn it off; then you'd have to assign internal static IPs), and the router should have the real IP address of your broadband modem (which you can find in it's config).
Check your router's manual for more help. Hope this helps, and congratulations; broadband's sweet.

technoboy

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 06:52:04 AM »

PCgeek8080

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 06:17:17 PM »
I've depended on that for years, but i've done some research and i've found that whatismyip.com or other sites that give you "your" ip actually give your isp's if u use broadband.

2k dummy

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 08:04:47 PM »
No geeky one, that is not the ISP's IP. It is your real IP as assigned by the ISP. As to the Linksys router, go the Linksys web site and download Logviewer. Then go into the router setup and tell it where to send the log. Or just view the log while in setup. You can easily see your real IP address, which computer requested traffic, and where the traffic came from. You can also look on the status page to see your IP and the IP's of your ISP's DNS servers.

PCgeek8080

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 01:17:37 PM »
Search on Dnsstuff.com for ur ip adress in the WHOIS. It tells u that ur IP is ur ISP's IP. I use ipconfig.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 03:01:29 PM »
    PowerfulMan......Check with your ISP....they may not permit the use of a static IP address unless they asign it.......but regardless .....if you ckick ...start , then run ....them type cmd .....a black dos window will open .....type ipconfig and hit enter and you will see your ip address .....or if you wish to see more info .......type ipconfig/all and hit enter ......you will see the Physical address of your computer ( MAC address )
    and other supporting info.

Good luck
    dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.