Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New router, and i can't connect to it wirelessly  (Read 4299 times)

keybowvio02

Topic Starter

Beginner
    New router, and i can't connect to it wirelessly
    « on: October 30, 2007, 01:45:49 PM »
    Ok, so here's the deal.  My previous router went bad on me and I bought a lynksys WRT150N home router.  It includes the new N technology, but on the box it says that it is also compatible with wireless g (which is what I am trying to connect to it from).

So I run the setup using lynksys' software.  Everything seems to go as planned, it asks me for basic info such as a network name and password and what security level I wanted.  I choose the middle security level which was "less secure, but compatible with more (older) devices"

Next I click the "add a computer" option.  It then prompts me to either connect the computer through a wire, or plug in a flash drive.  So I plug in a flash drive seeing as it is basically impossible to connect the computers through a wire.

So I take the flash drive and plug it into the other computer, it says "checking computer" then tells me that my wireless radio isn't on.  The setup utility has a link that I can click on to show how to turn on the radio for different computers.  However, since mine is not a computer brand (since it's a desktop) and instead is a network adapter that I bought from belkin, it has no way of telling me how to turn on my radio.

Needless to say, since it doesn't recognize my adapter, it doesn't connect to the network, and then fails to create a "wireless profile."

After this failing, I remember how I got onto the network in the past.  That is: using windows zero configuration to connect, and then entering the encryption key when it prompts me.

With this instance, I can view the network in the listing of available wireless networks as a secure network,  which means that it should prompt me to enter the encryption key when I click connect.  But, it does not.  It merely starts trying to connect to the network, as if it were unsecured. Then it fails to connect.

What do you think I need to do to connect to my network?  Is it a change to a setting on the router or on the  other computer??

please help, and thanks in advance!

PS: windows xp pro for both computers