Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 95  (Read 8787 times)

boredom113

Topic Starter

Beginner
    « on: November 03, 2007, 08:32:55 PM »
    i am currently (was lol) running windows xp pro on my computer.....i put an old hard drive in my computer to pull off  some files, and when i took it out and tried to reboot my computer all that happens is a black screen comes up with a flashing white line....anyone know of a fix to get back to how it was before? F8 doesnt work.....
    : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :

contrex

Re: 95
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 01:09:52 AM »
    That black screen with flashing white cursor usually means that no hard drive was found. I think maybe you need to go into the BIOS and get the hard disk recognised - it looks like something got reset when you added or removed the old hard drive. You did turn the power off when you did all the connecting and disconnecting?

So reboot and try to access the BIOS with, DEL or ESC or F2 or F1. At this point you might be able to discern whether the BIOS has lost the hard drive settings and simply can not see the drive or if there is another issue. If there is a "Load Default Settings" item then you could try that.

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 04:36:41 AM »
      I'd just double check the jumpers on the HDD, and make sure the connection is ok (unplug and re-plug it).

Then if it doesn't boot automatically, have a look in your BIOS (Press __ to enter Setup), and have a look at the boot sequence...or if the Press __ for boot menu, is available, try to find it on the list.

If you're still having problems, come back.

boredom113

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 08:47:03 AM »
        the hard drive is showing up in bios and yes i turned it off and unplugged it before i messed around inside.....i did the load default settings and it did nothing.....XP isnot the original os on the computer it originally had Milenium.....
        : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :

boredom113

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 04:05:47 PM »
          so noones got anything?  :'(

pudco

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 04:45:37 PM »
          This other hard drive when you put it in did you start an operating system that was on it?? like you left the xp drive plugged in to copy files to it and the one you put in, did you start up whatever operating system was on it??  If so that's probably why.  I've had that happen to me a few times myself.. XP is RELALY weird like that.. if you have xp and stick another drive in with say 95, 98, or ME on it and boot it, it does something to your xp drive..  If that's exactly what you did, then you probably need to reinstall xp.  You can probably just do a repair.  I don't remember the codes to do it but if you feel like doing some googling, look up how to use the recovery console to reinstall all the boot files.  I don't remember what they are. :-( sorry but that'll save you from losing anything and anything getting messed up/apps not working, and drivers missing things like that.  Give it a shot!  it can't hurt since you won't lose anything doing it that way..  IF YOU DO do the repair, it will still do what I said but you'll have to redo your drivers most likely and reinstall some programs like antiviruses becase they wil be corrupt.  Good luck. :-)

Jay

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 06:36:16 PM »

Boot to your XP CD and at the first prompt hit R for repair...this will take you to the Recovery Console.
          At the command prompt type fixmbr and hit Enter.
          Remove the CD and re-boot.
          If it does not take you into Windows repeat the above procedure and at the command prompt type fixboot and hit Enter and do the same...

Let us know.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

boredom113

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 06:52:24 PM »
            ummmm.......i kinda sorta lost my xp disk......hahaha....uhhhh.....anyway to work around it?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 07:10:33 PM »
            We've actually heard this before...
            DLoad the emergency XP boot disks...6 i think from the MS website and create the floppies...boot to them and you can run the Recovery Console from there...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "