Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding a dvd burner  (Read 2780 times)

Fullmonte

Adding a dvd burner
« on: November 02, 2007, 09:51:35 PM »
I am wondering if my computer can handle a 16x DVD burner. The current config is:

asus A7N8x mother board
AMD 2400 cpu
1 Gig ram, (pc2100 I think)
120 gig HDD
Windows Xp Pro SP2
550 watt power supply
ATI radeon x850 video card (added about 2 years ago)
I built this 4 years ago.

I have noticed that on most dvd burners they require at least 1.4 mhz . I have 1.2. Will running the burner totally bog my system down? What burner would you recommend for my system?

Thanks,

Tom

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Adding a dvd burner
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:07:40 PM »
I have noticed that on most dvd burners they require at least 1.4 mhz . I have 1.2.
I assume you mean 1.4 GHz.

From my experience, Burning CD's always slows the computer down when you're multitasking.   

Fullmonte

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:18:13 PM »
my mistake.

Do you see a problem with the addition of the burner? I have found this one http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/samsung-sh-s202n-bebn-lightscrible-dvd-drive-with-software.html

I am wondering if it will work with my setup, being it is so old.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 10:38:19 PM »
It doesn't say anything about your CPU speed.

Fullmonte

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 10:26:17 PM »
The link that I posted was for a drive that I found that was cheap. It doesnt give much info about the unit. I have read other manuals for drives and most recommend a cpu that is at least 1.4Ghz. On hooking it up, can I just remove one of my cd drives and replace it with the DVD drive. I believe it is hooked up with IEEE. 

matt

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 04:11:17 PM »
From the specs you listed, I would think you would be fine.  It might slow your system down while actually burning, but if you close any extra programs, i don't see you having any problems.

I have an NEC ND-3540A DVD burner that works great for me.  I dont see it available anymore from Newegg, but I always had good luck with NEC products.