Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please HELP! Files and folders moved and copied themselves??  (Read 2543 times)

DavidHazelnut

Please HELP! Files and folders moved and copied themselves??
« on: November 04, 2007, 04:58:30 AM »
Hello there people,

I know that it's quite rude to get to my question immediately without introducing myself, but i am desperate! I have an external hard drive which contains files and folders, yesterday i noticed that some files and folders went from folder a to folder b.

The problem is that i did not move them! Some folders got copied? And some deleted folders actually reappeared for no reason at all? The copied folders and the deleted ones contain no files?

I did various scans with Avast Pro edition, CCleaner and Spybot but without any result. I use Comodo firewall and i BOclean, so i guess my computer is pretty solid, but i am pretty worried about this.

I checked the disk for errors but no errors were found, what could be the problem?

Does XP move folders randomly if the folder is too full?

Please help me.....

Thank you,

David.... ???

krone2800

Rookie

Re: Please HELP! Files and folders moved and copied themselves??
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:56:06 AM »
    you know, may be you're  infected by a virus.boot up in safemode...try to run your newest virus scanner...the updated one :)

DavidHazelnut

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 06:08:39 AM »
    Thank you i'll try..... I'll post my findings here...

:o

contrex

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 06:44:36 AM »
    Something very like that happened to my Seagate Free Agent 320 GB external hard drive. I had just copied over a huge multimedia collection, lots of folders full of music videos, films, mp3 collections, and the next time I went to check them out, I had lots of folders and sub folders, but they were all completely empty!

Suppressing the urge to (a) scream out loud (I had, in a rash moment, moved rather than copied the folders), and (b) start fiddling around with disk tools -- I did  a bit of Googling and (1) used the "safely remove hardware" icon in the taskbar to stop the drive (2) completely powered down the computer and removed the plug from the wall (3) unplugged the USB cable and plugged it into another USB socket (4) powered back up again. Everything was as it should be.

If you right click the drive in Explorer, choose Properties from the menu, click the Hardware tab, highlight the correct disk drive, click the Properties button, choose the Policies tab, you can see if the drive is optimised for performance or quick removal.

Performance implies write caching which can result in a corrupted filesystem if you unplug the drive (or there is a power failure) when there are pending writes that need flushing from the buffer (This is what the safe removal icon does).

Quick removal implies always writing everything to the drive immediately which can slow down performance of the whole system, but means you don't have to use the icon, and (in theory) you are less likely to suffer filesystem damage. Choose the one you feel happiest with - you can always change it if you don't like it.

DavidHazelnut

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 02:22:22 AM »
    Thank you for your help!

I applied every tip you gave to me, and i hope that everything stays the way it's supposed to be.

Again thank you, and i'll keep you posted about any possible errors....

Peace,

David.... ;)