Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

How old were you when you first used a computer?

5 or younger
22 (6.1%)
6-8 years old
32 (8.8%)
9-13 years old
71 (19.6%)
14-16 years old
32 (8.8%)
17-20 years old
62 (17.1%)
21-25 years old
38 (10.5%)
26-30 years old
27 (7.4%)
31-40 years old
33 (9.1%)
41 or older
46 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: November monthly poll  (Read 54229 times)

pascal7

Re: November monthly poll
    « Reply #30 on: November 10, 2007, 05:35:36 AM »
    The first computer I ever used was a Commodore Vic 20 at age 11. I was very currious when I saw it in Kmart. So, for Christmas I asked for a Commodore 64 and that was 1984.

bigfroglittlepond

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 08:27:07 AM »
    well, i was old (24), but the computer was an IBM 650 with 2k words of drum memory, card reader and punch, and offline accounting machine which could be made to print 80 character card images.  i was an undergraduate at Northwestern and had a job as operator at the comp center.  there was a 709 also which took up a huge ac'ed room, but i didn't use that.

reubenwu

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2007, 09:45:11 AM »
    Well, I was born 2 years after the WWW, and around 1995 I screwed around with a  486 with 8 mb RAM and a 500 MB hard drive, Windows 95, supposedly "Cutting edge for the time".

cyborg3

Beginner
      « Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007, 06:09:22 PM »
      My first computer was a TI-99. A commodore 64 was an upgrade. The TI 99 was a 61 bit computer as I recall. Remember those annoying tapes.

fillmore

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 09:09:42 AM »
      I started out on a mac back in elementary school for a typing class when I was 9.

cliffnook2000

Rookie
        « Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 01:08:59 AM »
        Geezz...

Think it was 1980 when I first used a computer. A Tandy TRS-80. Back in the good old days when you needed to programme everything yourself in BASIC and spend hours saving to a cassette tape.

You know what...I still have that old Tandy, still in its original box with all instructions.

Must be a museum piece now...lol

Frank

justice

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 10:18:48 PM »
         :D Well when I started was with Compuadd Computer.  That was a 286 I also had a Tandi Shack Computer about that time. In college we were just entering into the 486 area just above the 386. This is when I started building computers my own. That when I discover the high price of parts.  Then I went to buying used equipment and redoing them. From there I work in a few Mom and Pop shops repairing computers.  Net working was starting to get real big when I finally drop out repair shops. I was going broke they were only paying just a .25 over minimum wage.  I not total burn out yet on computers they still tweak my interest   I still read a few magazines to keep abreast of things.  But I still behind times. Still running a 98 system on one computer and a Win Me on the other one.  Both of them got nail with this Malware crap.  I sure can remember when you only had virus to deal with.  This new stuff is increasingly getting worse.  For the life of me I cannot think what is going through these sick individuals minds.  And with all our technology why we can not discover who these designers of this stuff and a break their Knee caps!!!!!!! :o

Richard FDisk

Rookie

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 09:11:49 PM »
          I don't know if atari games count as using a "computer"
          or if commodore 64 games count either

but I do remember using the "Apple 2e" with a decrepit tape recorder to store programs etc.
          then we got a 5¼ floppy drive for it (Much faster than the tape deck)

used to type
          Load "program name"
          and it would go find it.

I did all my windows "Training" on a 386sx 66MHz w 8MB RAM 100MB HD and w3.1
          it would take 20 minutes to do a search and replace on a fair sized document in WP5.1

I still use 486's & 3.1 for some stuff
          and I think M$ should give the windows exploder a face lift with a rewritten w3.1"file manger"
          much better and easier to use, anyone remember "F7 (move)" and "F8 (copy)"
          and rename would do the whole batch of selected files not one at a time.
          and F7 & F8 would give a dialog and you could send files anywhere including to "\ or .."
          neither of which are supported now "bummer"

cheers

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
            • Yes
            • Technology News and Information
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #38 on: November 16, 2007, 09:35:01 PM »

and I think M$ should give the windows exploder a face lift with a rewritten w3.1"file manger"
          and F7 & F8 would give a dialog and you could send files anywhere including to "\ or .."

cheers

You installed the Year 2000 update on that, right?

Bones92

Hopeful

• Website Designer and Microcontroller Programmer
            • PIC Programming New Zealand
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #39 on: November 17, 2007, 01:58:41 AM »
          I was 9, it was running DOS 6.0, it was a 386 and i taught myself qbasic. Now, i win awards for programming in visual basic  ;D

good ol' DOS

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #40 on: November 17, 2007, 02:51:15 AM »
          reading all of this make me happy for you all because have tried many type of old model computers, i hope i were you :)
          Should i buy the old computer then ::)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #41 on: November 17, 2007, 08:30:23 AM »

cheers

Total Commander

About 1/2 way down the page...much better than Windows Exploder

;)
          « Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 09:28:20 AM by patio »
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
            • Yes
          « Reply #42 on: November 17, 2007, 03:28:27 PM »
          I would still use my Windows 3.1 computer, however, the hard disk for it completely crashed.
          (Then, for fun, I took the hard drive apart once I finally accepted that it was gone, applied battery power, and fried the program control board!)
          Anyways, if I could get it to work again (if someone had one of those drives somewhere...) I would.

adityanm

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2007, 10:34:51 PM »
          The first computer I used was IBM 1402 in 1968. I had to use punch cards and
          any mispunch took one more day to debug.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
            • Yes
          « Reply #44 on: November 17, 2007, 10:45:32 PM »
          The first computer I used was IBM 1402 in 1968. I had to use punch cards and
          any mispunch took one more day to debug.
          What sort of operation was the computer used for? And was it one single computer, a (what we might call present day) "network" of computers, or more than one individual computers?