Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer system clock gaining time  (Read 15035 times)

DebbyWilford

computer system clock gaining time
« on: December 16, 2004, 10:59:38 AM »
Can anyone tell me what would cause your computer clock to advance very quickly in a very short time.   I will tell you this is happening on more than one computer in my office.

Ex. 1    Clock was set at 10:00 this morning.  At 11:07 on the computer clock it was actually 10:52.  The computer was set to the time on a clock that is a function of our phone system.

Ex. 2&3  I went in and set the clocks myself yesterday at about 3:00.  By the time both girls left for work at 5:00 their clocks where about 15 minutes fast.

Weird!  about the same time difference.  I have only been made aware of the fact within the last 24 hours so I cannot say for sure at what rate they will continue to advance but each advanced 15 minutes in 1 or 2 hours.  That is a lot.  Three hours in a day if every 2 hours.  They have not complained that the clocks are off by 3 hours by the next day so I am thinking no on the "continue to advance" idea.

I know if your battery is going out it can slow the clock or make you have to reset when you reboot by why 15 minutes then a very slow progression from there.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: computer system clock gaining time
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 11:15:57 AM »
Wow. Your processor must be fast...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

MalikTous

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 11:23:16 AM »
I have seen dying CMOS batteries cause both speedup and slowdown of the system clock while the machine is shut down. There is usually no effect when the system is powered up.

Fast clocks while powered up could be a dying mainboard.

DebbyWilford

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 12:12:17 PM »
That kind of scares me.  I guess I should call the people who have our maintenance contracts.  At least two of the three computers are between and year and a half to two years old.  Can't have them die on me.

Thanks,

Deb

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 12:28:13 PM »
Maybe it's your office clock.  Install this free application on each computer.  WebTime 2000 (click here)

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 12:59:40 PM »
Is this winxp.........