Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: disable save option in file menu of the browser  (Read 8291 times)

mukund

disable save option in file menu of the browser
« on: December 18, 2004, 09:32:41 PM »
how to disable save option in file menu of the browser?

Corrosive

Re: disable save option in file menu of the browse
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 12:51:37 PM »
If this is to prevent your copyright-protected material from being downloaded, then the only reliable way of doing this is to not upload it in the first place. No matter how you try to protect it, there will be a way to get the content. Even if it's just copying and pasting the text off your page.

Basically, don't expect miracles, because you sure ain't gonna get one.

That said, I think I may have a solution. I've never seen anything that could specifically disable the Save option - at least without having you go round to the person's house and install software on their machine before they visit the site - but I do know of a Javascript which will open up a pop-up window without some of the browser chrome (ie the toolbars, scrollbars, status bars etc).

I think this link will explain all (it's actually a part of a much larger tutorial, which may also be of use):

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/JavaScript/Controlling-Browser-Properties-with-JavaScript/1/

Being Javascript, however, it is easily disabled. Told you not to expect miracles.

MMaverick

Re: disable save option in file menu of the browse
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 04:52:08 AM »
yup exactly

thats the most you can do.

However people can still get the name of the page you are opening into the popup window (not to mention IE blocks popups) and open the page in a normal window - unless you scramble the javascript.