Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with a batch  (Read 2288 times)

caligto

Need help with a batch
« on: November 21, 2007, 05:08:11 PM »
We are implementing sharepoint next monday but I have a problem. it seems that every time i want to open an office document, like excel or word from sharepoing IE opens it instead of the native program. I need to create a batch that will change the registry keys automatically when a user logs in.

I basically need a batch file that will do the following for me:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To configure Internet Explorer to open Office files in the appropriate Office program by editing the Windows registry, set the BrowserFlags DWORD value to 8 (or 9 for Microsoft Excel worksheets) for the appropriate document type. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes
3. Locate the subkey for the specific Office document type. The following table lists the subkeys for several common Office document types. Document Type                                Subkey
----------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Excel 7.0 worksheet                Excel.Sheet.5
Microsoft Excel 97 worksheet                 Excel.Sheet.8
Microsoft Excel 2000 worksheet               Excel.Sheet.8
Microsoft Word 7.0 document                  Word.Document.6
Microsoft Word 97 document                   Word.Document.8
Microsoft Word 2000 document                 Word.Document.8
Microsoft Project 98 project                 MSProject.Project.8
Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 document           PowerPoint.Show.8
      To locate the subkey for a document type that is not included in this table, find the subkey for the extension that is associated with the document type. The (default) value for that subkey contains the name of the subkey for that document type. For example, the .xls extension is associated with Excel worksheets. Under the .xls subkey, the (default) value contains the string "Excel.Sheet.5." Therefore, the subkey for the Microsoft Excel Worksheet document type is the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Excel.Sheet.5
4. After you identify the subkey for the specific Office document type, add the following value for all subkeys except Excel.Sheet.5:
Value name: BrowserFlags
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value: 8
For Excel.Sheet.5, add the following value:
Value name: BrowserFlags
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value: 9 
5. Click OK, and then quit Registry Editor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
    Re: Need help with a batch
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 08:11:02 PM »
    i have never worked with regisrtry stuff. sorry

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 08:19:49 PM »
      Whatcha need to do is edit the registry of an account to get it the way you like.  Then, highlight any keys you changed and export them to a .reg file.  Give that reg key to other accounts (or put it in the Public folder) and have them run it.  It'll copy the "fixed" entries into their account.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 02:20:34 AM »
      You can edit the registry if you go to Command Prompt and type 'reg /?'

i have never worked with regisrtry stuff. sorry