Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Phone calls using broadband connection  (Read 2878 times)

konvict

Phone calls using broadband connection
« on: November 25, 2007, 06:55:19 AM »
Hi again.
I have a questions regarding making calls from a PC.I dont have an internet connection on my home computer.But i'm going to get one soon.Can i make calls to all the phones (mobliles and land lines) around the world with the Skype or the Yahoo messenger?
Remember, i'm in india.
There are options for broadband speed-128kbps,256kbps.
Which option would be better for making pc to phone calls?
Thanks in advance...
immu

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Phone calls using broadband connection
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 01:17:54 PM »
Hello again

Both Yahoo, MSN, and Skype can make calls to Mobile and Residential phones (I would call or contact each company to check and see about your country first)

Go to http://www.speedtest.net/
Tell us what up speed, and what down speed you have.

If you have at least 300KBPS, then I would say that 256KBPS would be the best for your internet connection (providing you are limiting your internet browsing while you are making a call)
If its below 300KBPS, then I would recommend using 128KBPS.

The higher KBPS rate (kilobyte per second) the better your connection is.

(Note: Connections, and every data transfer are also measured not only in Kilobytes, but bytes, megabytes, and gigabtytes. )

elxr06

Re: Phone calls using broadband connection
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 04:41:46 PM »
skype can call anywhere. You can call other skype users free. Or you can call cell phone or landline users for a fee.

you live in india, so you would need to check their procedures on connecting you to landline or cell phone calls.

And yes, you need broadband internet to make calls from online. 56K modem is too slow.

The faster the internet connection speed, the smoother your call will be. If 128 KBPS vs 256 KBPS, 256 obviously is better, but 128 might be tolerable to you.