Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 98 over xp  (Read 9996 times)

rock

98 over xp
« on: December 21, 2004, 10:12:38 PM »
i want to get rid of xp,dual operating sys. to hard to figure out.don't want to lose any info so i am afraid of formatting hard drive.i don't know how to save important info for transfer to new operating sys. please help if you can. this all has to do with an outdated digital camera that works on 98 but not on xp.i need my photos and can't get them out of the camera without 98.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: 98 over xp
    « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 12:25:11 AM »
    rock.....Before you throw out XP which is a much better O/S than win 98.......Did you try installing your camera software on win xp or did you just read about it and it said it was only supported by win98 . My digital camera said the same thing ....but I installed it and it worked ....even Minolta had told me it wouldnt .....
    What kind of a camera do you have ? ........
    Have you tried looking for updates  for your camera software........ And another option might be for you to get a card reader ...which will plug into a usb port and read your flash card directly .....( the transfer time is much quicker as well )
    Let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

rock

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 04:43:03 AM »
    i tried loading the software and the pc said windows nt does not support this program so i tried to let the pc find its own way but it doesn't have polaroid in its index. i found a secondary driver online that polaroid said might work but it hasn't been tested yet.once i downloaded the driver it gave me a setup file but my camera still wont work with this driver.i tried to locate file to see if there was a exe file but the only two things i found was a note pad file and the setup file.the camera is a polaroid pdc300, polaroid gave me the address to download the secondary file but i still can't get it to work.i need my camera for ebay ant the camera worked on my other computer which had 98 on it until i totally screwed it up so i got another computer which xp prof.was the only os that i could get my hands on at that time.i was going to try and have dual os's but it would take a miracle for me to understand everything about formatting and seperating system files and i would more than likely lose something important like drivers.so i am afraid to try anything without help from more experienced pros. can anyony please help? if someone could help me to download the file and get my pc to connect the two units together that would solve the main issue that i have (camera/secondary driver file)

rumple21

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 04:53:52 AM »
     Is it possible that the software for this Polaroid camera is "Image Expert"? I have a camera that was origionally made by Polaroid but is marked "Catch". I installed the software and everything seemd to work fine. take a look for IE on the web and if you can't find it or it is similar or the same thing I cold try to send the drivers or help you find them. I wouldn't try overwriting 98 over XP so eagerly as you will have issues. I purchased file recovery software which is available on the internet but is expensive (Recover My Files). I have a small computer business so it was worthwhile.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 06:18:03 AM »
    For transferring your files, do you have a CD burner? Flash memory? Let us know...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

rock

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 11:38:35 AM »
    no i do not have a cd burner

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 12:55:37 PM »
    i want to get rid of xp,dual operating sys. to hard to figure out.don't want to lose any info so i am afraid of formatting hard drive...

Your best solution is this (click here).
    « Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 12:55:53 PM by Computer_Commando »