Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hello and HELP!  (Read 2852 times)

trag

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hello and HELP!
    « on: November 28, 2007, 02:38:44 PM »
    Hello all, nice to be here and look forward to meeting ya! Names Jason/37/male/NC.
    I have what may be a serious hardware problem. Recently my puter stopped working. When I reboot, theres one beep, a spinup sound, then it stalls. Nothing is coming up on the screen. NOTHING! I cracked it open, removed all cards from the mobo, cleaned it out with compressed air, and reseated all cards, cables, and peripherals. Nothing. I then replaced the video card because it has worked loose before. Nothing. It won't even make it to the keyboard detection. I cannot think of anything other than the monitor causing this. The cpu and power supply fans are all working also, btw.
    Its a custom-built machine with an amd processor,768MBs of RAM, a 40Gig maxtor HD, and the M811 VIA motherboard, and I use WINXP Home with SP2.
    Thanks in advance!

homer

Expert
      Re: Hello and HELP!
      « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:20:28 PM »
      i cant tell you what it is, but i can tell you whats its not, its not the monitor.

who is the maker of your BIOS? (award, phoenix, ami, etc.)

trag

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 08:33:33 AM »
        Im sure that its Phoenix...

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 04:39:13 PM »
          generally speaking, there is no real way of knowing what the problem is without testing each component. the first thing i would check is the power supply, see if you can get your hands on one that you know works, or if you must, purchase a new one. if that does not solve the problem, we can continue.

trag

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 07:35:05 PM »
            ok thanks bud. ill get back to ya.

trag

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 03:37:28 PM »
              Got the new power supply today. Plugged it into the motherboard and the hd, plugged it into the wall and turned it on. Smoke started coming out of it and it quickly started smelling hot before it just quit working. Any comments?

homer

Expert
                « Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 04:16:48 PM »
                Got the new power supply today. Plugged it into the motherboard and the hd, plugged it into the wall and turned it on. Smoke started coming out of it and it quickly started smelling hot before it just quit working. Any comments?

what make/model power supply was that?

trag

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 08:43:05 AM »
                  Its a sunbeam 480 watt ps with a 20+4 pin connector, model no. PSU-BKS-480-US 480W RT.
                  Incidentally, upon closer inspection of the inside of my puter, I found that the internal reset switch(?) that is connected to the "spk1" pin near the power led and reset switch pins on the mobo has a frayed, bare wire. Perhaps that was the initial problem....

homer

Expert
                    « Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 04:19:02 PM »
                    Its a sunbeam 480 watt ps with a 20+4 pin connector, model no. PSU-BKS-480-US 480W RT.
                    Incidentally, upon closer inspection of the inside of my puter, I found that the internal reset switch(?) that is connected to the "spk1" pin near the power led and reset switch pins on the mobo has a frayed, bare wire. Perhaps that was the initial problem....

perhaps, was the wire touching anything?

trag

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 06:16:12 PM »
                      Unfortunately I have no idea. The plug looked like it had melted a bit...

homer

Expert
                        « Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »
                        The plug looked like it had melted a bit...

thats usually a sign that it did touch something. i would recommend a new motherboard, as well as another power supply as the new one you bought apparently didnt work out so well.

trag

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 05:57:14 PM »
                          And Im supposing that I probably need a power supply with a 20 pin connector instead of the 20+4...

homer

Expert
                            « Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 06:04:38 PM »
                            i would suggest the 20+4 connector. if you buy a power supply with just a 20 pin connector you will not be able to power most newer motherboards as they have 24 pins.

trag

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 05:31:18 PM »
                              So can anyone recommend a good lower end motherboard? Do I need to buy a cpu also? Or can I use the Athlon thats on the M811 mobo?