Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Retrieving lost files in XP Pro......  (Read 3854 times)

Dj4man

Retrieving lost files in XP Pro......
« on: April 14, 2004, 05:02:46 AM »
Hi,
This is my first post on this forum.
Basically my pc crashed bit time one day and i could not do anything with it. Even XP disc wouldnt do a repair on my hdd. It eventually allowed me to re-install windows on top of my crashed version.
This works great and have no problems with it.

except!.....When trying to access my old files that are still present on the hdd, it keeps denying me access. I cant even copy these files to another hdd. I have important work in these files but Xp says 'access denied' file may be in use by another program' or words to that effect.

I have tried to access the files through command prompt but still same answer!

How can i remove the top version of xp so i can try and access the files again? Any help will be greatly appreciated guys.
Sorry for the essay!

Cheers,

Dan

natesneat2000

Re: Retrieving lost files in XP Pro......
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 06:10:33 AM »
I'm not sure what could be using your files; what application do some of them open in? I assum you're logged in as an admin. One thing you could try is download and burn Knoppix, a free 'live' Linux distro; requires no installation and runs off CD. It may be able to move your files. Remember to back up! Even if it's just burning them on a CD, back your stuff up!

edit: I'm a junior member now! ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 06:10:54 AM by natesneat2000 »

wrathchild_67

Re: Retrieving lost files in XP Pro......
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 12:13:08 PM »
You need to reclaim ownership of the files/folders in question. The old files belong to the old accounts from your previous OS install. Reclaiming ownership is an easy process: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421