Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard disk size  (Read 3577 times)

Vinnie van Neuren

Hard disk size
« on: April 14, 2004, 05:06:39 AM »
Just bought a brand new laptop, seems to work fine.  The only thing is that the hard disk size is showing up in windows as being 35GB when the specs say it should be 40GB.  Even allowing for the difference between gigibytes/gigabytes it figure that it should still should show up as 37.25GB.  I called the customer support and they said that everything was correct, that was just how they show up in Windows.  Should I believe them?

natesneat2000

Re: Hard disk size
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 06:14:45 AM »
I would; you also have to account for the formatting and file pointers; as I heard on a TV show, if you have lined paper, the blank space represents free spcce, but the lines (which take up space) are needed to organize data. Granted, alone, 2.5 GB is a good amount, but when compared to 37.5... you get the point ;D.

Vinnie van Neuren

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 07:42:58 AM »
Cheers, anyone got anything esle to add?

laura127

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 08:05:05 AM »
I am NOT a computer expert but one of my colleagues had a problem like this recently. He was supposed to have 200GB but only 130 was showing. Supposedly it had something to do with the FAT32 system.. Does that make any sense to anyone?? Cant tell you anymore but i just remember him complaining about it!

This "post" might be NO help to you whatsoever so if nobody replies to this then take no notice of what i said -just trying to help!