Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: converting downloaded tv shows to mpeg or avi?  (Read 4055 times)

saytheya

Topic Starter

Beginner
    converting downloaded tv shows to mpeg or avi?
    « on: December 03, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »
    I've been downloading a series that's been on tv because I keep missing the episodes through bit torrent. I want to put them onto dvds so they can be played in dvd players, but I'm not sure what type of files the videos are. I use VLC media player to play them because when I click on the file it asks what I want to open the file with.

Is there a program that would make it easy to convert the files to an .avi or .mpeg file? Do I need to know what type of file the videos are to do this?

I have 8 episodes so far and plan on downloading the rest as the come out, so the sooner I can get them on dvds to save space on my computer, the better.

Hopefully this is something someone can help with.

Thanks!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: converting downloaded tv shows to mpeg or avi?
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:20:54 PM »
    Do I need to know what type of file the videos are to do this?
    Yes.

elxr06

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 09:04:49 PM »
    well you just download codecs. K-Lite codec pack or something like that would help. Then, you can convert to avi or mpg. BUT if you have a dvd burning software like nero or sonic, and the program recognizes your file, all you'd have to do is burn it to dvd.

burning software will convert your file automatically to mpg2, standard dvd file type, so that it can burn properly. You should check the software settings first to be sure it is ok.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 09:07:44 PM »
    well you just download codecs. K-Lite codec pack or something like that would help. Then, you can convert to avi or mpg.
    Really?

saytheya

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 09:47:40 PM »
      i figured it out...kinda dumb too, i used dvd flick and instead of having it show "useable" files, i told it show show all files and they showed up and dvd flick didn't show an error and it burned it to the dvds perfectly.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 09:48:57 PM »
      Nice going 8) 8) 8)

elxr06

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 11:53:34 PM »
      well you just download codecs. K-Lite codec pack or something like that would help. Then, you can convert to avi or mpg.
      Really?

Well, sure. WinAVI couldn't convert things unless I had the right programs installed. Like quicktime was a no go unless I had quicktime stuff installed.

But DVD burning software like Nero or Sonic don't necessarily require anything mroe than a dvd burner and the software and everything else will be taken care of by the software itself once you configure it right.

redeye

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 08:06:24 AM »
        Looks like you got it solved. I would also suggest the program mediacoder.