Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will not complete Boot after Ps Replaced  (Read 2525 times)

Graunch

Will not complete Boot after Ps Replaced
« on: December 08, 2007, 06:41:50 PM »
I just replaced the PS in my kid's PC. It was working fine then she noticed a burning smell and found several components fried in the PS. I just replaced the PS. Hooked everything up and on power-up I get:

A Single Beep which I assume is the self-test being completed ok for the Mother Board

Then I get the next screen in the boot sequence that shows RAM installed. 2GB, CPU (Athlon 64)
and a norice giving me the choice to enter Bios Setup (press DELETE) or go to the Boot Setup (Press F11),

instead of continuing with the initall boot it freezes at this point. Pressing any key does nothing.

All fans are running

I cannot feet the  HD running but the LED on the front of the case that is supposed to show HD activity is on.

I am assuming a mother board problem either caused the PS to fail or the failure of the PS cratered something on the MB.

Anyone have any other items to check or Ideas?

Thanks in Advance

boredom113

Beginner
    Re: Will not complete Boot after Ps Replaced
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 09:45:24 PM »
    The beep codes mean different things depending on the MB manufacturer....u might want to go to the manufacturers web site and look it up...Good Luck!
    : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 08:21:18 AM »
    A burning smell is never a good sign...
    What brand PSU /'s have you swapped in there ? ?
    What happened that you needed to originally replace the PSU ? ?

Check the capacitors on the MBoard...they look like little tiny towers with an X in the center...are any of them bulging and or leaking ? ?

You may be able to salvage things here or you may have caused some serious damage.
    Post back with as much info as you can...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Graunch

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 09:54:32 AM »
    It is a Macron Power Technology MPT 350 - but I am going to check all the voltage outputs in my avionics shop tomorrow

The burning smell came from the PS and a couple 470uf filter caps and a resistor on the 115V AC look like they were pooched its near the 115VAC input portion - possibly part of the input vs the 5VDC output side- can't tell w/o a schematic.

Haven't had a chance yet to look for any obvious damage to the MB but the single beep on the initial boot is the same as a another functioning PC so I am guessing that it means the self test is ok.

I plan to disconnect all peripherals and see if the boot sequence will continue on the chance that a drive or something is pulling a voltage or databuss down.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 07:08:11 AM »
    So the MBoard capacitors are OK then ? ?
    What brand PSU is this ? ?

Nastidon

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »
    Something similar to this happened to me not too long ago. My current setup seemed to be tearing up PSU's left and right, I had to replace the PSU three times in a span of a couple months to figure out what was going on, I will give you my story in hopes that it will help you. The first time it happened, my computer would shut down randomly, just completely turn off, I didn't realize this was a result of a failing PSU. The first time it turned out that with the failing PSU, it took my Video Card down with it, so I had to replace both and all was fine, this was a 600W replaced with a new 600W generic PSU. Of course as luck would have it, the same thing happened again, this time, I was fortunate enough to not loose any of my other components, just the PSU. I finally got fed up after it happening again, so I replaced it with a bit higher quality 680W PSU, I have never had a problem since.

What I'm thinking is that something may be sucking a large amount of power from your PSU and burning it out, you might have lost your Video Card along with it, as you hear a one beep, and the fans are running, which means everything else should be ok. I would suggest you find another computer with the same Video Card slot and test it in that, if that computer doesn't start up, then it is most likely your video card that may be stopping you from booting.

Graunch

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 07:21:13 PM »
    I finally had a chance to dig into it today and found that the IDE HD is defunct. It was dragging down the IDE line from the MB and stopping the boot process. AS soon as I disconnected the cable it went to the Bios boot level. Plugging a spare HD in allowed it to recognize the HD. Tomorrow I start rebuilding a new SATA drive on it .

Thanks for all the suggestions :)
     :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 08:29:09 AM »
    Good job...
    Make an investment into a decent PSU looking ahead to the next upgrade.