Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ntkern.vxd Error?  (Read 10813 times)

Impulse88

ntkern.vxd Error?
« on: December 29, 2004, 05:13:52 AM »
Well, I'm not the kind of person to give up and ask on forums, but its got to that point...

The Prob:

Laptop (Not new by anymeans): Win98, has only its floppy drive and a USB, which is soon to be hooked up to my network with a PC-Card Adapter.

Right now the problem lies with a Modem.

As I've tried updatin the Firmware on my Zoom X4 Modem, and sadly broke it (would'nt respond when i uploaded the first part). This Modem was the given to me through Freeserve, or as they like to call themselves Wanadoo, the Drivers that came with the Modem itself have been lost, as I did'nt have any means of using the Modem in the future.

Now the modem is on my main PC which I have to leave on at night so that everyone in the house can share the connection.

I decided instead of wasting another £50 - £100 quid on a new Ethernet ADSL Modem, I would simply attach the Modem to my old Laptop, and buy a cheap Ethernet Adapter so it can give us the connection.

Sounds simple, It was at first, I downloaded the Drivers from the Modems Manufactures site:
ftp://ftp.allieddata.nl/public/Product_Info/xdsl_products/CopperJet_800/Drivers/Freeserve_Driver/Windows_2000/Freeserve_4_3_3_18.zip

The Modem itself: http://www.allieddata.nl/asp/products_product.asp?menu=products&productid=42&brandid=14

Placed the Drivers into Floppies and put them on the Laptop, at first it Installed perfectly, even went Online, but at this time I had'nt thought of the Laptop Router Idea (had'nt even bought the Ethernet Adapter), so... I uninstalled it... Stupid, could have left it all as it was and just unplugged the Modem, but no had to tidy it up, so I uninstalled it...

A few moments later, OMG I'VE GOT A STUNIN IDEA...

Install the Modem once again... huh?

It gets to the point were it should ask me for my CD, but it does'nt ask anything the only thing that installs is the Modems Boot thing, I go to my Device Manager, whats this? device loaders...NTKERN.VXD, oookkk, I've googled the file all night, Downloaded it, stuck it into the Folders, (C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM, and there was another SYSTEM/VM32 or somin), nope...

Some other site said this:

http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=16484&subsectionid=616

Tried it, sadly I don't have acsess via the CD, Laptop bit so I googled the Files, lukly made backups, stuck em in...

Some Windows Permission Error stuff...

okk... get into safe mode, restore em, back to step 1...

Right now i'm out of Ideas, maybe one of you experts can guide this old man...

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 05:31:12 AM by Impulse88 »