Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: oops...I've did it again, should have bin written about me, HELP NEEDED  (Read 3583 times)

the big oops himself

Hi all, can anyone help me with a problem that i have encountered only this evening?
the problem is that I was downloading some freebies from various places when my firewall and a program called threatfire popped up and reported that i had contracted some sort of rootkit type virus and that it was trying to send my details out on the internet.
I followed the instructions that i was given and quarantined it (or so i thought) and then went to the quarantine file and permanently (I think) deleted it.
at that point my PC started to missbehave, the internet explorer, windows explorer, and other things started to close down and then re start. i also noticed that my antivirus software was no longer working, I had PC Tools Antivirus installed at the time, and it had been shutdown and it would not start again.
in the end i un-installed it and tried PC tools spyware doctor with antivirus. after running some scans of my PC and being satisfied that it was in good health i resumed my surfing.
then it all started up again, and now my screen keeps going black (as if turned off) for about 2 or 3 seconds and then coming back on. also i have had to install adobe flash player 4 times tonight in order to get to my e mail or a website, so i don't think the information is being kept by windows, with this going on i decided to try the system restore option in my accessories and system tools folder. guess what??? yep i could not system restore my PC, I tried 4 different times over the last 2 days but it just said that the PC could not be restored to that time and i should try another restore point. none of them work, i tried the 1st one, 1 from Tuesday, and 2 from yesterday (wed, 19-12). my PC had a problem last week due to an unrelated incident regarding my telephone and the fact that it didn't work, not realising this i decided not to investigate it and just bang in the restore disc. partly cos of having loads of programs and partly cos of having no phone (internet) it has taken me 3 and a half days to get my PC back up and running, so you can see why i am so upset and why i am reluctant to use my restore disc again.
Can anyone make me a suggestion on how i can resolve this PLEASE?
i would be so grateful for any help. also i don't know how to send a detailed file of what is going on, i noticed that a lot of ppl send these logs so that the ppl helping can get a better idea of what is going on, if anyone could give me instructions on how to create or just find such a log then i will of course send it to help.
Thankyou to you all in advance for your help, i look forward to kicking some virussy type *censored*.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: oops...I've did it again, should have bin written about me, HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:13:21 PM »
1. Run free online scan at: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
The Housecall log is saved to C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\.housecall\log\
Post HouseCall log.

2. Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users:
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Print these instructions out.

SUPERAntiSpyware should be run in Safe Mode.
To enter Safe Mode, restart computer, and keep tapping F8 key, until menu appears; pick Safe Mode; you'll see "Safe Mode" in all four corners of your screen

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
    * An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
    * If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here: http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html.)
    * Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
    * Click the Scanning Control tab.
    * Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
          o Close browsers before scanning.
          o Scan for tracking cookies.
          o Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
    * Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
    * Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
    * On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
    * On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
    * Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
    * After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
    * Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
    * A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
    * If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
    * To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
          o Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
          o Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
          o If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
          o Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply with a new HijackThis log.
    * Click Close to exit the program.
Post SUPERAntiSpyware log.

3. Download HijackThis:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hijackthis.html
Post HijackThis log.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

the big oops himself

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 12:30:24 AM »
thanks for your help, unfortunately i can't send any logs as when i went online to do the last scan something started opening popups galore, when i finally got it under control i found half of my pc missing. i just lost 178 games, my photos, my music, all my application set up files,  and all of my pc settings (wallpaper etc). I have just got back online but with a skelleton pc, so i am starting another system restore with my disc. I feel i have little choice. thankyou very much for your help and when all is fixed again i shall return here and see if i can help anyone else.
Thanks again.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 06:08:31 PM »
I feel sorry for you, but sometimes reinstall is the only option.
Thanks for posting back.