Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connecting wirelessly on a new XP pro  (Read 5345 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Connecting wirelessly on a new XP pro
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 05:10:33 AM »
irishgirl,
A missing driver should not prevent installing an .exe...
But first try copying the .exe to the desktop machine...right now you are trying to install it from the external. Not sure if it should make a difference but worth a try. Grab a fresh DLoad as well.

Or you can try another small program called Belarc Advisor also FREE that will provide the same info...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

irishgirl982

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 11:15:32 AM »
Nick: I'm sorry if I'm getting really confused, but the laptop is not the one that is missing drivers. It's the HP desktop that is the one that's missing stuff. Wouldn't I need to download the drivers for the desktop?

Patio: I did copy the exe to the desktop. I was not trying to install from the external hard drive. It was just weird because the laptop was allowing me to install the program while the desktop is not. I'll try another download, and that other program you mentioned and let you know what happens. Thanks again!

irishgirl982

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 05:17:54 AM »
Okay, I'm about at the end here... I don't know what else I can do.

I tried installing Belarc Advisor and this is the error message I received:

An I/O error occurred while installing a file. This is normally caused by bad installation media or a corrupt installation file.

Something else has to be missing on it. Why else would nothing install? HOWEVER, I tried installing one of my art programs that I had on my external hard drive (openCanvas) and it WORKED. Why would that work, but the other files wouldn't?

I'm thinking about just finding a copy of XP home for this machine... it's not worth all the trouble! What do you guys think? Thank you!

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 05:39:20 AM »
    I'm thinking about just finding a copy of XP home for this machine... it's not worth all the trouble! What do you guys think? Thank you!
    That wont help, it will still need drivers. In order to get any version of XP working drivers will need to be installed.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

nickc1976

Intermediate

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 08:54:36 AM »
      When you installed XP Pro on the HP desktop machine, was the installation interupted in any way, or did you get any error messages?
      It may be worth re-installing XP if you haven't got any other programs or files on there yet.
      http://www.pc-citadel.com - PC and Laptop repairs upgrades and customization

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 09:28:20 AM »
      At this point i would be contacting HP....with a serial 3 or something they should be able to give you a decent idea of the drivers for that machine...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wrwss

Intermediate
      • PITTSBURGH,PA.
        « Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 07:59:54 PM »
        Any new computer  that comes with vista has hardware only compatible with VISTA. You will not be able to install (revert) windows xp unless you install xp compatible hardware.
        WRWSS

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 03:37:10 AM »
          That's not true wrwss. It is just a question of finding XP drivers. They might not be available from the manufacturer of the laptop, but the manufacturers who made the hardware installed in the laptop will provides drivers for at least XP and Vista. (It doesn't make business sense at this point not to support XP.)
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

irishgirl982

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 04:07:20 AM »
          Thank you so much, everyone. My friend is going to come over sometime next week and help me with the computer. I'll let you all know if we succeed. :)

irishgirl982

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 06:33:50 PM »
          Thanks for all of your help! My friend was able to find the wireless driver and install it onto my computer. However, she was not able to connect via the ethernet connection. It says "Limited or no connectivity" and then it says "the reason for this is because it could not establish a new IP address for my computer" It says "please click repair" Once clicked, it says it cannot repair because it cannot establish a new IP address. My friend googled  this problem and was unable to find an answer.

Any ideas on how to fix this?