Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows ME re-install  (Read 2517 times)

edan584

windows ME re-install
« on: January 02, 2005, 05:35:30 PM »
I loaded my windows ME disc into my laptop hoping re-installation might fix the problems. Now it has tried to re-instal but is hopelessly hung up at the setting up hardware window.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: windows ME re-install
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 06:57:08 PM »
Well, save yourself a LOT of time.... Trust me, I used to have Windwos ME myself.... Just go to the stire, and buy the full version of Windows XP. You would have to erase all of your files, but it sounds like you would have to do that for ME anyway... It seems like a lot of money now, but trust me... It pays for itself later. ME has a LOT of bugs in it, making it unreliable. XP does not have as many, so it is more reliable. If you follow my instructions, then you'll be fine....  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 05:25:15 AM »
    That will not help at all if it is a hardware problem, and the laptop might not support it. What problems were you experiancing? Is it possible to load up ME normally? Does it hang up at the new hardware screen every time? Did it first time you installed ME or was it preinstalled? Or you reinstalling from DOS or inside Windows?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 08:41:20 AM »
    Neil. It WILL help. That will tell us which way to go. He wants to FIX problems. Not start them all over again. I had Windows ME. I know how bad it was. He would be better off in the long-run if he switches now.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Murphy

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 09:32:16 AM »
    I agree.Get rid of it.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 12:51:48 PM »
    Neil has a point, but that is what I would call a "Temporary Fix". If anyone here has had Windows ME before, then you would know from experience that it has a LOT of bugs and errors in it, that Microsoft has yet to fix.... It's a good resolution Neil, just not in this case...  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]