Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: updating bios  (Read 2251 times)

mrchester

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

updating bios
    « on: February 08, 2008, 11:26:43 AM »
    just read a response asking if your bios needs to be checked to see if it is xp compatible, and  does your bios need to be updated,  how do you do this, i have jumped around in the bios, not wanting to change a heck of a lot, but how would you update this  thanks

moono

Beginner

Re: updating bios
      « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:14:20 PM »
      Your BIOS updates are provided by your motherboard manufacturer.  You need to identify your motherboard and then visit the manufacturer's site in order to download an upgrade, if there is one available.

The ease with which you may install your new BIOS depends very much upon the age of your board and the upgrade software, if any, provided by the manufacturer.

You should identify the board first and then ask again for assistance.
      « Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:43:47 PM by moono »

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:27:52 PM »
      Playing with BIOS updates is not recommended, unless absolutely necessary.

moono

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 12:48:15 PM »
        I use Gigabyte boards and the Gigabyte BIOS page gives a good description of what each upgrade does, so you can decide if you need it.  As a general rule it isn't worth upgrading if you're happy with the performance you're getting, true. 

Gigabyte use DUALBIOS so you can move your old BIOS into store, try the new one, and replace it with the old one if you aren't happy.   

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 05:40:09 PM »
        just read a response asking if your bios needs to be checked to see if it is xp compatible, and  does your bios need to be updated,  how do you do this, i have jumped around in the bios, not wanting to change a heck of a lot, but how would you update this  thanks

Whoever suggested checking the BIOS to see if you can run XP may have been suggesting to check your system specs to see if it will run XP.
        The BIOS shouldn't have anything to do with it.

If possible Post some info on what's in the machine and perhaps we can make some recommendations...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "