Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old Hard Drive  (Read 2013 times)

clwebb82

Old Hard Drive
« on: January 13, 2008, 11:23:10 AM »
I removed a old hard drive (40G) from one of my old computers and would like to know if there is a way I could make it an external hard drive with the USB 2.0.  There are some files on the hard drive that I would like to retrieve and then use it as an external storage device.  I am currently running Windows XP on both my laptop and desk top and would use the new/old hard drive between the two computers.  I have read on some of the posts where they sell enclosures to put an internal hard drive.  Any and all help would be appreciated.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Old Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »
I have read on some of the posts where they sell enclosures to put an internal hard drive.
Yep, they sure do.  You would need one for a 3.5 inch hard drive, with an IDE Interface.  Here's what newegg.com has: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?bop=And&Submit=SubCatDeals&N=2010000092

clwebb82

Re: Old Hard Drive
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:28:44 AM »
soybean, thanks for the link and the information.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  This is by far the best forum.  Thanks again.