Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannnot acces router interface  (Read 2373 times)

Mastamind

Topic Starter

Rookie

Cannnot acces router interface
    « on: January 11, 2008, 07:05:12 AM »
    Hello,

I just bought a Linksys router WRT54G.  Setup went ok.  Both computers on the internet no problem.  I was able to manually get into the router interface @ 192.168.1.1 changed some security settings, hid my SSID. I uninstalled the Linksys site adviser software as I figured I didn't need it.   After that I rebooted the computer and I have been unable to access the routers interface.  I keep getting "Connection timed out"  I can ping the router.  So I power cycled the router nothing, and I did an IPconfig /release and /renew.  Still nothing.

Any suggestions?  Do I need to re-install that site adviser thing on the Linksys CD?

I am running Windows XP SP2 and OS X 10.4.10.  The Windows box is wired, the Mac wireless.

Thanks!

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      Re: Cannnot acces router interface
      « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:13:19 AM »
      You can't connect to the "web style management interface" using 192.168.1.1 in the address bar in your web browser?
      You have internet connection in the meantime? You said that "I keep getting "Connection timed out"  I can ping the router" but I don't understand if your ping works or you receive "connection time out" messages.
      What is the output of ipconfig /all (when you are using the router)?

Your router's manual is here: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/wrt54g_ug.pdf
      See chapter 6, router web-based utility.

Mastamind

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Cannnot acces router interface
        « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
        i couldn't understand why I could ping the router but still get "connection timed out" from the 192.168.1.1 web based interface for the router.  This happened wired and wireless. 

I ended up resetting the router.  I set up the network again.  I also updated the firmware.  Works perfectly now.  No problems.

Although like I said I still have that free utility from the Linksys CD installed on the wired computer.  I'm actually a little leary of uninstalling that.  It shouldn't make a difference, I know, but still.