Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet connection speed lower than ISP testing  (Read 2846 times)

barder07

Internet connection speed lower than ISP testing
« on: January 12, 2008, 10:14:34 PM »
Hi folks,

I've just upgraded my connection speed (dsl) through my ISP (Sasktel here in Saskatchewan, Canada).  The download speed is supposed to be 5MBps and I am currently getting just over 1.

I've had their technicians in and they checked all of their connections.  The technician used his laptop and connected directly to my line- got about 4.8 MBps.  Close to advertised speed.  We checked mine again and got just over 1.Mbps. 

I have a Dell Dimension 4200 running XP Home SP2.  It is a 4.6 Gighrz with 2.5 Gigs RAM.  I have a Sapphire HD Pro video card with 512 Mb onboard memory.

I am running Kaspersky anti-virus, Ad-Watch and Spybot.  My ISP provides me with a firewall.

I just updated my Ethernet card to the latest drivers available.  The card is an Intel Pro/100 VE.

The device driver says there are no conflicts and that the card is working fine.  I've run diagnostics through the card driver software and they seem to be working well also.

I'm running short on patience with this!  It seems to be something in my computer limiting the acceess speeds but I can't pinpoint it.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

barder07

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Internet connection speed lower than ISP testing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:07:33 PM »

barder07

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:10:23 AM »
Thanks Broni!

Wow!- I've been struggling with this for a week and one quick download, inputed my max speed and voila!  Brilliant!

Thanks so much, I appreciate it.

Barder07

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 07:53:41 PM »
I'm glad, it worked for you 8) 8) 8)