Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: iMap  (Read 5946 times)

prettyprincesss

Topic Starter

Rookie

iMap
    « on: January 12, 2008, 02:14:31 PM »
    I just recently just bought a new Macbook and while I was at the Apple store the salesman showed me how to turn on iMap for my gmail account.  He told me that using the mail feature on my mac and the imap I would be able to see my gmail inbox and be able to make changes that would affect both accounts. Meaning if I delete an e-mail in mail it would delete online in my gmail account. However I find that this is not the case.  If I check my gmail account on a different computer it reads as if I've never checked it at all even though I have on Mail.  Was the salesman wrong or did I set up iMap and mail incorrectly?

Thank you for all the help in advance!

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: iMap
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 02:41:13 PM »
    (Just FYI, IMAP is not part of the Apple propaganda... in other words: Its an acronym, not something that is supposed to sound cool by having a lowercase letter "i"...)
    Anyways, it sounds like you are using either POP3 or you didnt set up IMAP right.
    IMAP means: Internet Message Access Protocol

Go into Gmail on the web, and click Settings at the top right of your screen.
    Then go to the tab that says: "Forwarding and POP/IMAP"
    Make sure IMAP is enabled.
    Then go to Configuration Instructions (or click here to see it)

Configuration instructions for Apple Mail version 3.0 Leopard, located here:
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=81379

Run through the setup

prettyprincesss

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 05:40:46 PM »

Apparently I didn't set it up right.  To me the lowercase I means nothing different, but to you it does. I apologize for my misuse.  Thank you for your help and time! :)

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:22:29 PM »

Apparently I didn't set it up right.  To me the lowercase I means nothing different, but to you it does. I apologize for my misuse.  Thank you for your help and time! :)
      Its no problem :)

Good luck in the future of computing, and I am glad I was able to help