Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble Connecting With Belkin 54G Router  (Read 12329 times)

InfadaStone

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Eden Lost
    Trouble Connecting With Belkin 54G Router
    « on: January 14, 2008, 09:14:14 AM »
    Hey, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I set up a Belkin54G router on my PC so my brother could share the connection with me with his Playstation 3. We were using an unsecured network for a little while. But then I set a password because I realized someone else went on our connection. It was working fine. A day afterwards, my brother started to have problems logging into the Playstation network. Then I realized that the router said that I was connected on my PC, but when I try to load a page on internet explorer or firefox, nothing comes up. I tried to configure the firewall and disabled the NAT feature, but I still get nothing.
    I'm sure the problem is with the router, be it settings or the actual hardware, because when I connect with my cable modem, I have no problems whatsoever.

I now can't access my Belkin control panel. I have to type in an IP address in IE and the panel is supposed to come up, it's not working.

I went to IPConfig and tried pinging google.com. Four Packages were sent, but none were recieved back.

Can someone tell me what happened and guide me on how to fix my router problem?

Much apreciated. x  :(
    “My son, you are right. It is better to die as free men, than to live as slaves at the mercy of the tyrant!”

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Trouble Connecting With Belkin 54G Router
      « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:18:38 AM »
      Might be best to hard reset the router back to it's default condition, then slowly redo the settings, documenting all that you do and testing after each change is made. 

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

InfadaStone

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Eden Lost
        « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:22:04 AM »
        I can't reset to default because I can't access it's control panel. :(

Is there any other way of resetting it?

Thank you x
        “My son, you are right. It is better to die as free men, than to live as slaves at the mercy of the tyrant!”

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 09:48:38 AM »
          There should be a reset button on the router itself.  You'll have to use a pointy object like a straightened paperclip or pen to reset it.

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Deerpark

Egghead
            « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 09:55:09 AM »
            As ale52 says it is usually just matter of inserting a pointy object into the hole containing the reset button and holding it there for 10-15 seconds. If you're having problems reseting the router consult your manual. Some brands of routers require you to press the reset button at particular point during the startup.
            Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
            Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

InfadaStone

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Eden Lost
              « Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »
              Thank you for the quick reply.

I've just reset the router like you said. Nothing's any different. I still can't get into the router control panel. I've checked that the ethernet cable is connected to the port in the back of my PC so it has a direct connection to the router.

Still nothing.

:(

Deerpark

Egghead
                « Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 10:01:19 AM »
                Are you sure it got reset? Like I said some routers are picky about when to do the reset.
                Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

InfadaStone

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Eden Lost
                  « Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 10:40:55 AM »
                  Yeah, I think so. It doesn't tell you how to reset the router in the manual. But I hold the pin in until the power light goes red. I guess that means it's done a reset. I've held it in there for longer. I can't find any other guides on how to reset a Belkin router online either.

Thanks

InfadaStone

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Eden Lost
                    « Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 10:53:14 AM »
                    Hey! I got into the control panel after starting all over again about 100 times... But I'm in now.

The panel says that the router is connected to the internet, but I have no access to any pages online. I get "The page cannot be displayed".

I tried to ping google.com and I got the error message: Destination net unreachable, but when I ping'd my own IP, it gave me four replies.
                    « Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 11:40:03 AM by InfadaStone »

viking

Adviser
                    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
                      « Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 04:58:09 AM »
                      Have you tried with a network cable between your computer and router?

What is the output of the ipconfig /all command?

(start->run->cmd (Enter)
                      ipconfig (space) /all >c:\ipcfg.txt

and then copy here the contents of c:\ipcfg.txt)

What ip has the router? (WAN ip I mean). What gateway? Can you ping the gateway? What DNS server? Can you ping the DNS servers? (you can find these informations in the status page of the router).

InfadaStone

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Eden Lost
                        « Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 10:39:24 AM »
                        Hey, I'm already using a network cable from the PC to the router.

I can't ping the gateway. Can't ping the DNS servers either.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
                          « Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 05:42:13 PM »
                          Take the router out of the loop and go directly from the modem to the computer.  Does it work now?  If so replace the router.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
                            « Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 05:43:05 PM »
                            Replace the network card.

InfadaStone

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Eden Lost
                              « Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 04:22:49 PM »
                              Hey.

The problem can't be my computer's network card. The router won't work even if I try with my brother's laptop.

I also can't use an ethernet cable with the modem I'm using right now. It's USB.

Thank you x

viking

Adviser
                              • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
                                « Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 02:09:10 AM »

What is the output of the ipconfig /all command?

(start->run->cmd (Enter)
                                ipconfig (space) /all >c:\ipcfg.txt

and then copy here the contents of c:\ipcfg.txt)

What ip has the router? (WAN ip I mean). What gateway? Can you ping the gateway? What DNS server? Can you ping the DNS servers? (you can find these informations in the status page of the router).

*censored*, I reach that time in life when I quote myself :D