Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Deleting Vista  (Read 5369 times)

glenafton

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • Experience: Familiar
    Deleting Vista
    « on: January 15, 2008, 05:01:47 PM »
    I recently bought a HP Pavilion deskrop computer that had Vista Home Premium already installed.  I have had nothing but problems with Vista and want to get rid of it.          I have a XP Home Premium installation disc that I bought with my previous computer.     Can I delete Vista and install XP on my computer and if so how do I do it.
    The computer is a HP Pavilion a6040a with Intel Pentium D cpu dual core.  2Gb of memory and the hard drive is 320Gb 3g sata
    glenafton

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Deleting Vista
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »
    Is Vista having problems, or is it just you dont like how it looks?

What you must realize is this:
    Your Vista computer is from 2007. Windows XP, however, is from 2002. As you can imagine, there may be conflict problems. You will never be able to get the full potential out of your computer with XP, and some of your hardware might not work.

There is no way for me to give a yes/no answer to whether going to XP will work. Check your manufactures website and see if they have all of your drivers available in XP.

Other than that, what issues are you having with Vista?

glenafton

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »
      Zylasta,
                    Many thanks for the reply.
      Apart from the annoying "Are you sure" popups of vista I am having problems.
      The latest was on Monady when the system shut down and I lost a lot of valuable photographs and word documents.  The documents I can re-do but the photographs are lost as I have no replacements for them.
      I also have problems with Vista not accepting programmes.  The most notable is the for my Panasonic DMC-FZ50 camera.  It will not accept it at all.   As an alternative I purchased ACDSEE 9 but even that is not satisfactory.
      The system shutting down has happened 4 times to my knowledge but this is the first time I have lost anything.
      I have automatic updates running and I run AVG antivirus daily and once a week in safe mode

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 06:02:14 PM »
      For the system shutting down part, it sounds like a hardware issue. Vista will not cause this. (I run a Vista computer, its flawless)

UAC (Those annoying popus) can be disabled. Hold down the WindowsKey + R, and type:
      MSCONFIG
      Go to the Tools tab, and find "Disable UAC", and click Launch.
      Then, to take care of Windows Security Center, click the popup it displays for more information, and then towards the lefthand bottom corner of the Security Center window, click "Change how Security Center Alerts Me"

As for your camera software, I dont know enough information for that...

But, like I said, degrading to XP will not solve sudden shutdown problems. That sounds like a hardware issue.

glenafton

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 06:15:36 PM »
        Zylstra,
                     Many thanks for your help and advice.  I will do as you advise and see how things work out.
        glenafton