Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble installing Windows 2000 Pro on new hard drive  (Read 4841 times)

haus_kat

Trouble installing Windows 2000 Pro on new hard drive
« on: January 08, 2008, 08:27:38 PM »
I bought a larger hard drive to put into a laptop computer that I have and I had the place where I bought it install the hard drive for me.

In the past they installed a hard drive for me on the computer which I am currently using to type this and all I had to do then was to put the software disc in the CD-Rom drive when I got home and the software installed itself with no problems.

Now I got this other computer (a Dell Inspiron 4150) back home and with the same software disc was attempting to install the software on there so I can use that computer instead of this slower one but I keep getting stupid errors saying it can't find this or that file even though the files needed for installation are right on the disc!

What do I do? The latest error now says it can't find txfaux.dl_ file and asks me to make sure the disc is in the drive (well of course it is!) or to provide the location where it can be found (somewhere on that disc!).

Why I am having all these problems now when the same software installed flawlessly and without problems on this computer which I am currently using (a Dell Latitute CPiA)? Neither computer has their original Dell brand hard drive but that did not seem to make any difference when I installed the software on this computer. This compuer has a SeaGate hard drive and the one I just got for the other computer is Hitachi brand (that's all the store had).

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 03:21:34 AM by haus_kat »

haus_kat

Re: Trouble installing Windows 2000 Pro on new hard drive
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 03:20:15 AM »
never mind. It seems the CD-Rom drive is just acting up and not reading correctly. When I keep clicking re-try it eventually "finds" the file and continues.

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 05:40:06 AM »
    But why installing 2000, 2008 is coming soon  ;D
    Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 03:07:22 PM »
    never mind. It seems the CD-Rom drive is just acting up and not reading correctly. When I keep clicking re-try it eventually "finds" the file and continues.
    Sorry if my attention span seems short today... not sure why, didnt read your whole post

The next time you have to install, make sure the disc is clean, its sounds like there might be something preventing it from being read