Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Do I need to reformat before I reload windows 98  (Read 6082 times)

tenabell

Do I need to reformat before I reload windows 98
« on: January 07, 2005, 08:13:50 PM »
I want to reload my windows 98 and start my computer fresh. Do I just reload the disk or do I need to go into DOS and reformat my hard drive before I reload. I have 2 friends that both tell me different things. I just want to wipe my system totally clean and start over.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Do I need to reformat before I reload windows
    « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 08:51:19 PM »
    tenabell......If you want to start out fresh ........format your hard drive ......That will remove all data and operating system . Then you will install Window 98 and away you go.......You will need a window 98 boot disk....( you probably already have one) ......

dl65 ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

tenabell

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 09:35:09 PM »
    The directions that my friend sent me on how to reformat has me making a boot disk as the first step. If I do not reformat and just reload windows will it wipe my computer clean or just cover it up? I have 4 years of crap on here and I don't know what needs to go or needs to stay but I have almost filled my poor lil computer to its max.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 10:09:45 PM »
      tenabell...I always like to start clean when doing a format as opposed to just reinstalling. If you are going to do a clean install......remember to copy anthing you dont want to lose onto a cd .......things like your address book ( called WAB ) family pics ..that sort of thing .....remember you will have to reinstall all your software....so make sure you have it handy.......
      Remember to copy the settings for your dial up connection as well as the settings for your Email account settings.
      http://www.putergeek.com/win98_install/index.shtml

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Neil

Expert
      • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
        « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 07:26:38 AM »
        You will need things such as your graphics card driver disks etc and Windows Serial Key handy.
        « Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 07:26:50 AM by Neil »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 07:30:50 AM »
        Make sure you have all of your drivers and such.... Otherwise, you are in TROUBLE. You know how to reformat, right?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 04:50:20 PM »
        What make of the  pc is this??and you are correct two many cooks spoil the broth?