Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FORMAT  (Read 6609 times)

smf

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Expert
    FORMAT
    « on: January 21, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »
    I can format hard drives with windows but when I tried to wipe all the data of a mac hard drive it dose not let you erase it because os x is loaded on that drive how do i wipe out my hard drive

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: FORMAT
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »
    You are going to have to boot off of a drive other than the one you want to wipe.  If you have an external firewire drive you can do it off of that.  Boot onto the external drive by holding option when the computer boots, and then double click on the firewire drive.

You'll then be able to go into disk utility and wipe your main hard drive.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »
    Why not just get your Apple OSX CD, pop it into the computer, start it up (holding down the "C" key at startup to boot from CD)
    Then, use the setup utility, or, go find your Disk Tools program, and run the "Initialization" program.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:12:26 PM »
    Why not just get your Apple OSX CD, pop it into the computer, start it up (holding down the "C" key at startup to boot from CD)
    Then, use the setup utility, or, go find your Disk Tools program, and run the "Initialization" program.

Good idea.  You can actually, when booting from your OSX cd, go to Utilities at the top, and click on disk utility.  That'll get the job done.  Way to point that out Zylstra, completely slipped my mind.