Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 98 first edition  (Read 4839 times)

Posey

windows 98 first edition
« on: January 25, 2008, 05:43:47 PM »
I am running Windows 98 first edition. I installed a Belkin F5D5000 network card and attempted to load the drivers. I received the message this device would only be compatible with Windows 98 second edition. I removed the network card and anything associated with it. I did use the device manager to remove the card before I physically removed the card from the motherboard. I purchased a SMC1244TX-1 which is compatible with windows 98 first edition. I installed the card and booted up the computer and the hardware wizard detected the belkin card. I called Belkin and they had me remove anything associated with belkin from the registry. They assured me this would take care of the problem, it did not.
I called Belkin again and they could not offer any help with this problem.
I have used different slots for the SMC card, however, the wizard continues to detect the Belkin card, even thought it has been removed.
I have used the add hardware to try to install the SMC card but it will not detect the card. The computer still thinks the Belkin in installed.
I called SMC and told them of the problem and they replaced the card with the thought that it might me defective. I installed the new card with the same results. Would anyone have an idea of what the problem is here?

daniel1212

Beginner

Re: windows 98 first edition
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 08:08:56 PM »
    Are you saying that you removed the Belkin, and all it's Registry entires, and rebooted, and then shutdown and installed the SMC and Windows id's it as the Belkin?   Please also explain how you installed the SMC card. Do you have a driver CD with it? That is what you should use.
    Grace and peace through Jesus

Posey

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:48:43 AM »
    Your first sentence is exactly correct in what I did to remove the belkin card.
    When I installed the smc card in the slot, I then rebooted the computer.
    Upon booting up, the wizard that detects newly installed hardware detects the belkin card. I can't never get far enough along in the process to install the drivers from the cd for the smc card.
    I have attempted to use the add new hardware tool to get the computer to detect the smc card, but it never detects the smc card.
    It seem as if there is something still in memory from the belkin card
    installation; until that is removed, an install of the smc card is not possible.

daniel1212

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:27:16 PM »
      There must be some registry entries left. If you do not want to go hunting, you might try removing it using Device manager, and remove the card and reboot, and then try reinstalling the card and see if Windows picks it up. If so, use the CD to install it.

Another alternative is to boot to a command prompt, at the A:/  prompt type scanreg /restore (notice space before /) and hit Enter. Then choose to restore a recent registry that was before your card install. 
      Grace and peace through Jesus