Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best Browser - OPERA, FIREFOX or IE6  (Read 3664 times)

ianbell

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I THINK I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SH*T
    Best Browser - OPERA, FIREFOX or IE6
    « on: January 26, 2008, 10:59:38 AM »
    I'm running W98SE and have tried all of them, but have had problems with each - Firefox takes forever to load and I don't seem to be able to print anything - all I get is a 'System Error' message.  It also doesn't open all features in E-Post, Canadian Tire Financial and some Gov't of Can Web-sites.
    Opera and IE6 load about 5 times as fast but Opera is not compatible with my Bank [TD], Gov't of Can or E-Post  - also, the longer I am on-line [dial-up] the slower Firefox and IE6 seem to get, while Opera seems to maintain about the same  conection speed.
    REALITY IS A POOR ILLUSION FOSTERED  BY A LACK OF GOOD ALCOHOL - HIC!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Best Browser - OPERA, FIREFOX or IE6
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:49:10 PM »
    Well, from a compatibility-standpoint, IE clearly seems to be the best choice.  So, it looks like you need to focus on what can be done to minimize the slowdown you experience during online sessions.

Have often do you normally clear your browser cache?  Are you using any spyware/adware removal tools?  Are you using any disk cleanup tools such as Windows Disk Cleanup or CCleaner?   I suggest you get CCleaner and run its Windows scan and its Registry scan.  For the latter, backup your registry when prompted to do so.  And, repeat that scan; it will sometimes find additional items upon repeat scans. 

How much free space do you have on your hard drive?  How long since you defragmented it? 

ianbell

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I THINK I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SH*T
      « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »

Have often do you normally clear your browser cache?  Are you using any spyware/adware removal tools?  Are you using any disk cleanup tools such as Windows Disk Cleanup or CCleaner?   I suggest you get CCleaner and run its Windows scan and its Registry scan.  For the latter, backup your registry when prompted to do so.  And, repeat that scan; it will sometimes find additional items upon repeat scans.

I run 'Abexo free Reg Cleaner' about once a week and do a back-up from that.

How much free space do you have on your hard drive?  How long since you defragmented it? 

The system has 368Meg of SDRAM and 2 x 10G HD's, one 85% free and the other 93% free - had a new installation of W98SE to a formatted HD about a month ago, so that should be OK - my MOBO is a socket 370 - could it just be 'old age' creeping up?

REALITY IS A POOR ILLUSION FOSTERED  BY A LACK OF GOOD ALCOHOL - HIC!

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 11:36:01 AM »
      The following is mostly unanswered:
      Also, are you using a firewall?  What type of Internet service are you using, dialup, DSL, or cable?  Can you elaborate on how long you are online before you notice this slowing down?

elxr06

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 12:44:35 AM »
      IE6, Firefox and Opera in that order if you are talking about in terms of compatibility. Although Firefx and IE6/IE7 are pretty close.

Opera is still following webpage standards too strictly which causes various webpages to not load properly or not load well.

Ccleaner is a good program to use so use it :=)