Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stupid Mp4!  (Read 2557 times)

Spider Pig

Topic Starter

Stupid Mp4!
    « on: March 27, 2008, 07:24:41 AM »
    hi, ill cut straight to it! i ut my mp4 into the computer with everthing right, put some music and pics on it, it worked, tryed again and put more on worked, plugged it in to delete some stuff. When i clicked "Safely Remove USB Mass Storage Device - Drives(E:, F:)" (like normal) It Said "The Device 'Generic Volume' Cannot Be Stopped Because A Program Is Still Accessing It!"  >:(

Really Unhappy :( i meen, im only 13 and if my parents find out, im dead! :o

Please Help Me Now! I Need This 

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Stupid Mp4!
    « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 07:28:15 AM »
    This isn't a major problem. Unplugging the device will not harm it.
    Make sure you have stopped using the device (like copying to and from it and maybe listening to music on it)
    If you REALLY don't want to pull it out of the computer, you can restart the computer and it should be able to pop right out.

Spider Pig

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:30:16 AM »
      Are You Sure, Its An MP4, And I Dont Want To Lose AndThing On It, My Friends Said Id Lose My Stuff If I Didnt  Remove It Safley?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 07:37:53 AM »
      Maybe during the long term. It would be more harmful if you run programs from it and then remove it without exiting.
      I normally use the safety eject but if I'm in a hurry, I sometimes pull it out.

Dias de verano

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »
      Are You Sure, Its An MP4, And I Dont Want To Lose AndThing On It, My Friends Said Id Lose My Stuff If I Didnt  Remove It Safley?

If a program is still accessing it, then stop that program! You don't need to start every word with a capital letter. In fact you should not. If you shut down down the computer then you can definitely unplug your mp4 player safely, but in general it is all right to pull it out.
      « Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:31:57 PM by Dias de verano »

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 02:20:32 PM »
        Worst case scenario if you unplug it without using the safely remove feature is that the data on it may be corrupted if a program is still writing to it, but simply unplugging it should never damage the hardware.
        So it is advisable to always use the safely remove feature if you don't want to loose your data.
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Dias de verano

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 02:33:09 PM »
        Yes, we're talking about damage to data here, not physical damage. If you are that worried, back up your mp4 data to your PCs hard drive every once in a while.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 08:30:32 PM »
        Yes, we're talking about damage to data here, not physical damage. If you are that worried, back up your mp4 data to your PCs hard drive every once in a while.

That's what I do to all my drives. I back them up to an external HD.