Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error 0xc0000008 SecActMgrInitialization failed on wife's HP; won't turn on  (Read 40528 times)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Error 0xc0000008 SecActMgrInitialization failed on wife's HP; won't turn on
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 08:58:21 AM »
I'm glad, you're back in  business, and what's even more important, your wife is happy :)
If everything went well, the laptop should recognize connection by itself.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »
    First:  thank you for your help.  Regarding computers, I have always tried to download or install as >little< software as humanly possible;  embracing only what I really, really need.  I dislike memory-consuming junk.  Next, I de-frag and clean up on a regular basis.  I use AVG anti-virus, (after getting really mad at Norton), and Ad-Aware, although Ad-Aware won't update now after I added Spy-Bot. 

Your encouragement was important.  I guess I have a high degree of reluctance to dive into these things, always worrying that I'll mess up the whole thing.

No, her laptop will NOT automatically recognize my router.  I don't know why it doesn't.  I tried to enter LAN info to send it the right direction, but that didn't work.  I guess having the laptop back is the most important thing.

Again, thanks, you got me through it.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »
    You're welcome ;D
    As for Internet, try this.
    Turn all computers connected to the router off.
    Disconnect modem, and router from power source. Wait 1 minute.
    Re-power them. Restart computer(s), and see, if it helps.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 11:59:23 AM »
      Thanks.  But that did not work either.  After laptop fires up, first pop-up message in lower right corner is, of course, the auto-update alert to get updates.  No other flags or pop-up messages.  I've used laptops on the road in motels that, when turned on, pop up a window that basicly says, "hey, I found a wireless network!-'wanta hook up?"  That was what I was hoping for here.

When I initially reloaded the laptop it did not automatically recognize anything then either.  That's when I figured I'd have to do it, somehow, manually.

Ethernet card in her laptop is a D-Link DWL-G650.  It is in the external slot that accepts the flat cards that are about the size of a small checkbook. 

??

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 12:05:04 PM »
      Do you have a CD with driver for it?
      Also, check Device Manager for any errors (yellow "?", or "!" marks).

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »
        You are keeping pretty busy on this forum this morning.  I hope your overtime pay is good.

Thanks.  Yes, after getting into device manager again I remembered being there before.  There are two yellow, "?," stamps there.  The D-Link card seems to be missing it's driver.  So far, we cannot find a driver CD.  She's still looking.

I went to D-Link's website thinking I might download a driver to this computer, save it on a CD, and pretend it's the regular driver CD.  No luck so far finding a download, but I might need to go back and look farther.

When this is over I suspect her laptop will be in better shape than before. 

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 12:53:14 PM »
        Your driver is here: http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=11
        What is the other "?" mark for?

I hope your overtime pay is good
        We're all volunteers.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 01:03:18 PM »
          She found the CD.  Worked fine.  Lit up the active LED on the wireless card.  But now I evidently need to find the, "network key," code/number.  I'll see if I can find it on this computer. 

Wireless link is, "talking," but cannot pull up IE yet.

I figured you were all volunteers, which I appreciate.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 01:22:03 PM »
          What is the other yellow "?" mark for?

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 01:28:03 PM »
            Yellow marks went away.  They were associated with one another.  One yellow flag, then the second inset just below it.  Driver fixed both.

Apparently the, "key," number is the only thing holding things up.  So far, I can't find where to get that.  Error window suggests it is created/provided by the administrator, (which might be me?), but I'm not sure where to look next.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 01:31:26 PM »
            I evidently need to find the, "network key," code/number
            What is the full message, and when exactly it pops-up?

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #26 on: February 02, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »
              It has popped up at various times. 

However, from a clean desktop, no programs running, I click on the lower right toolbar icon, "wireless connection unavailable," and it brings up window that says:

"  Wireless Network Connection" 

Within that window available connection is blue-highlighted as, "default."

Note below that says, "this wireless network requires use of network key (WEP), to access the internet."

Then there is a blank box within which to type in the key, (if I knew what the key was).

Does this help?

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #27 on: February 02, 2008, 02:07:12 PM »
              You have to use other computer to access D-Link setup page at http://192.168.2.1, and you'll find that key under Security.
              I use Belkin, but there is a checkbox "Obscure PSK". If unchecked, it'll reveal password (normally hidden behind asterisks)

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
                I got the wireless card working fine.  Device manager says it's fine.  Now I just get, "can't access server," when I bring up IE.  I go under, "Tools," and internet options and can't seem to find anything there.

Next I'll try the set up through Outlook Express, maybe that will help.

I think I just don't have the right numbers in for internet access via, "our," particular ISP.

Getting tired.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #29 on: February 02, 2008, 05:11:43 PM »
                Go Start>Run, type in:
                cmd
                Click OK.
                At Command Prompt, type in:
                ipconfig /all
                Hit Enter.
                Post back with what it says.