Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error 0xc0000008 SecActMgrInitialization failed on wife's HP; won't turn on  (Read 40530 times)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Error 0xc0000008 SecActMgrInitialization failed on wife's HP; won't turn on
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »
I'm avoiding getting into the router software in fear of disturbing our whole, "system."
I don't want you to change anything.Just look around, if you can find that key.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
    « Reply #61 on: February 04, 2008, 07:23:46 PM »
    Agreed.
    Besides, company this evening; they are leaving tomorrow.

One thing to remember is that because of your help the laptop is running just fine, again.  This problem is just a post-recovery nuisance. 

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #62 on: February 04, 2008, 08:05:38 PM »
    I like EVERYTHING to be solved....LOL

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #63 on: February 05, 2008, 02:21:59 PM »
      Back again.
      First, while I had some, "down time," I dug out my MS XP SP2 disk I had MicroSoft send me in the past.  Not having the laptop working yet on an internet connection, this way I was able to load SP2  while I was out of ideas about fixing the connection problem.

SP2 seems now to do a little better job of showing various windows for dealing with my connection.  So I went back and re-tried everything I had done before.  No luck.  I can still connect to the router, I just cannot send/receive data.

I looked in my leaflets that came with my D-Link hardware.  I found the section where the network key is built and noticed my handwritten note to type in the key, but no key noted.  On a hunch, I typed in, "admin," for user AND password.  It worked.  So both I and the ISP installer had never created a password.  (And I still have not).  So now I tried everything again, including powering down the router, etc., and bringing them back up.

No luck.

So I have made progress but have yet to solve the problem of wireless transmission and reception.

I don't have any new ideas at the moment.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #64 on: February 05, 2008, 06:26:07 PM »
      I just checked your post #30 about ipconfig, and it looks to me like there is something wrong with your laptop IP address.
      Go here: http://www.hotcomm.com/FAQ/FAQ_staticIPXP.asp
      and look at Assign the IP address paragraph to see how to change IP address...
      In second image:

force your laptop to Use the following IP address ('tick" that option)
      Your IP, and Gateway address should read:
      192.168.0.1 (BTW another mystery here is why your other computer reads 192.168.2.1, since it's not D-Link, but Belkin address)
      Leave Subnet mask the same: 255.255.0.0

Check also your other computer for this entry:
      IP routing enabled...............Yes
      This setting on my computer is set to No

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #65 on: February 05, 2008, 07:37:51 PM »
        Just did that.  Inserted IP addy and left subnet mask as it was.

Checked my IP rounting enabled with the cmd line and it was already set to , "no."

Restarted laptop.  Acted, again, like it was working to the router, but when I clicked in Internet Explorer, it hesitated, then brought up the same window, "no current connection available." 

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #66 on: February 05, 2008, 07:40:50 PM »
        Try both numbers: 192.168.2.1, 192.168.0.1

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #67 on: February 05, 2008, 07:41:41 PM »
        Also, if you have a friend with laptop, try your card in there. Maybe something wrong with card itself.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #68 on: February 08, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »
          FIXED.

I've been busy; just not on this forum.  I did a lot of scratching around.  Called my ISP yesterday.  They said the radio system I'm on assigns an address for us.  Then my router assigns an address, (or I assign it).  Then the separate computers within our home have addresses.  First, we disabled the encryption, (we live miles out in wheat fields and that kind of security is not important to me at this point). We still had trouble getting communication of data between laptop and router, just as you, Broni, were aware of.  They asked to see the laptop when we went into town today.  Once there, he said it appeared that D-Link and Windows were both trying to set up communication.  Frankly, I don't know what all he did, but he did re-assign an IP address to 192.168.200.101, and it worked. 

So I'm up and running.  Downloading Grisoft AVG as I type this.

Thank you Broni, for all your courtesies and help. 

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #69 on: February 08, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
          Great!!! Super news!!!

Chir6

Rookie
            • Yes
            • RepairStar
          • Certifications: List
          Re: Error 0x0000008c ATTENTION HP OWNERS!
          « Reply #70 on: September 01, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »
          I ran into this one too.  If you have a HP computer and Windows XP tries to automatically install SP3, you will have this problem too.  What you need to do is go to HP website and download and install a patch before you install service pack three to avoid this.  Try restoring your computer to an earlier time before SP3. 

Admin edit: I don't mind the mention of OneCare however do not like to affiliate programs.
          « Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:29:46 PM by Computer Hope Admin »