Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help with a graphics card that doesn't work  (Read 2984 times)

miked787

I need help with a graphics card that doesn't work
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:59:45 PM »
I got a computer - free - from a friend of mine that's good enough for everything I need to do.  Except, it's got really crappy on-board graphics.  How crappy, you ask?  I can't even be on a website with too much activity (and do you know how many websites sneak in ads that dance around or have little movies?) without my computer crashing...blue screen and everything.  (It only happens when there's a video or something similar playing - and it ALWAYS happens when there's a video or something similar playing - so I'm sure that's what it is.)

So I bought a graphics card to take some of the strain off.  The computer only has PCI slots, so I was pretty limited in what I could get.  I got the NVidia GEForce FX5200.

I popped it in my computer and turned it on, and the monitor doesn't get a signal.  The little "on" light stays yellow, like the computer isn't even on.  The computer itself still makes all of its usual little start-up noises, so I know the only problem is that I can't see anything.  I even tried disconnecting the monitor from the graphics card itself and reconnecting it to the regular plug-in, but still nothing.  The instructions tell me that I might have to go into my BIOS and set the graphics to "PCI."  But...there's nothing in the BIOS menu that even remotely resembles video options.  Once I take the card out of the computer, everything's fine again...or at least back to normal.

I'm stuck.  Is it the card?  The computer?  Am I missing something obvious?  (I tried it again just to make sure and had the same problem.)  I asked this on another forum and all the responses were along the lines of "PCI sucks, get a new computer."  (While I'm sure that's a great solution, I'm looking for something a little cheaper.)

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: I need help with a graphics card that doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:38:09 PM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

Please read this

Hate to ask but you did install a driver ???
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

miked787

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 05:13:39 AM »
Thanks for responding. 

I didn't install drivers, but that's only because the CD that came with the card wouldn't let me unless the card was already in the computer...and of course, once the card is in my computer, I can't really do anything!  When I run the disc and indicate that I want to install the drivers, I get the message, "The graphics adapter installed in the system is not compatible with the current set of drivers" and it won't let me go any farther.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 09:30:47 AM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

Please read this

I wanted to check compatibility between the card and your mobo but you haven't given any details of the pc you're working with, not even the operating system.  With no driver installed your chances of using the card are fairly slim.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »
The instructions tell me that I might have to go into my BIOS and set the graphics to "PCI."  But...there's nothing in the BIOS menu that even remotely resembles video options.
Some systems will automatically disable onboard video when a video card is installed; others will not, it must be disabled in the BIOS.  What "instructions are you referring to above, instructions that came with the computer or with the video card?

Also, some systems can be picky about what PCI card is used for a video card.  I once installed a PCI video card in a Sony VAIO to run a second monitor [it has an AGP card for the primary monitor].  That computer would not properly recognize the PCI video card unless it was installed in the top PCI slot.  So, I suggest you do some experimenting with slots.

And, posting the make and model of the computer here would help us help you.