Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista security locked my folders and files  (Read 2632 times)

kiphertownsend

Windows Vista security locked my folders and files
« on: February 01, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »
I had some personal files and folders I wanted locked so I right clicked on a the folder that had all of them in there.  Went to the security tab and hit deny, I thought for everyone else but me.  Well now when I try to go in and look at them my computer says I do not have the permissions.  I was finally unable to unlock that folder, then a few folders inside of it.  I have thousands of files in this mother...... and I can't be going into each one, one at a time unlocking it.  I really don't even know how I unlocked most of them, just random luck I think.  So mostly I need to know how to unlock the whole folder and all the files so that I have access to them again.  Otherwise how do I unlock each one individually.  I have windows xp that come with a new HP laptop, the files I had placed in an external hard drive.  Please help me, some of these files I need instant access too and soon.

kiphertownsend

Re: Windows Vista security locked my folders and files
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:35:15 PM »
PS. if you could tell me how to put my trash can back on my desktop I would appreciate it.  I accidently deleted it.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 06:20:38 PM »
There is no Deny option in Security tab. What exactly did you do?

kiphertownsend

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 09:00:42 PM »
There is a deny.  You right click on a folder.  Go to properties.  Go to the security tab.  In the middle of the tab you will see "edit."  When you go in to that you will see the ability to check or uncheck features.  For each user on the computer.  I remember unchecking the ability for anyone else besides my adminstrator account to see the files.  But it won't let me see them.