Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win XP install on my Toshiba Laptop  (Read 4235 times)

Davesab

Win XP install on my Toshiba Laptop
« on: January 11, 2005, 02:11:38 PM »
I'm having some serious problems with my laptop.  It is a Toshiba Satellite 5100.  

OK...Xp kept crashing, so I re-installed it...except I reinstalled it on another drive..oops..  I managed to format that drive but when the computer starts up, it still gives me that screen where you have to select which Windows you would like to use (even though the second one does not exist anymore) - i guess that's the minor problem.

Now, I'm trying to reinstall XP....but the installation CD does not start automatically when I reboot.  AND, I can't access BIOS to make sure that it boots from CD first. ???

I've tried to reinstall Windows from Safe Mode but that doesn't work either!   Any suggestions?

What I would really like is to format the C:/ Drive and start over but I can't get to MS-Dos without going through Windows (which doesn't let me format it because I'm using it....)

Does this make any sense??

Thanks for your help!

merlin_2

Re: Win XP install on my Toshiba Laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 02:53:41 PM »
bios setup keys are Esc/F1 or ESC on boot........to access the bios........

Davesab

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 07:54:30 PM »
When I press ESC (which is the key my manual says to press on startup) it brings me to a black screen that says:  F1 for setup....when I press F1 - it brings me back to the screen where I must select which copy of Windows I want to use (with the option of pressing F8 for different startup mode: ie. safe mode...)

Any suggestions???

Thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 08:35:01 PM »
    Davesab..................Yes........... ...so whats your question ?
    Let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Davesab

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 10:41:23 AM »
    My question is how do I change the boot sequence so it goes to CD first??

Any ideas?????
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 02:17:40 PM by Davesab »