Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Word 5.5 in dos  (Read 10556 times)

hejlik

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
    Re: Word 5.5 in dos
    « Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 10:34:07 AM »

I wonder if you missed this one when you were transferring the files?
    How could you even suggest that?  Do you think I am an idiot?  Well let me tell you something, you are right, I am an idiot! :) Some how I did miss it. ??? >:(

After the install could find that file, it went off without a hitch.

Now I have another question, and this will probably make me sound even dumber, but here goes.

When the computer starts, it goes to a menu. #2 on the menu was the file he opens to do the paper. When I hit this, it tries to go to WORD5.  But hangs the pc.  Here is a list of what comes up when it tries to load word5.

C:\Menu>CD|WORD5
    C:\WORD5>ERASE*.TMP
    C:\WORD5>ERASE*.BAK
    FILE NOT FOUND

At first, I thought that Word 5 was installed on this pc, but was removed before he got it. (he got this pc from someone else).  But then I looked at the directory on C: and it shows Word 5 on there.  This is all before I installed word 5.5mind you.
    So I was wondering if someone put the 2 erase commands in so it would not run?

Something else is odd also. There are a bunch of his files in the original WORD5 directory. I was able to open them after I installed Word 5.5 Maybe he copied them from a floppy when he tried to get it running?

Regardless, I have the new program running, but I would like to get the one I installed (Word5.5) to run off the main menu when the pc starts up. I tried to edit the menu, but it didn't work.  (on the menu there are 11 options. i is to edit the menu, but all you can do is change the name of an entry, not the program that the entry starts.)

I hope all this makes sense. ??? What I would like to do is get the #2 on the main menu to open Word 5.5 which I installed. How do I go about this? 

Thanks for all your help and patience!

Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

Dias de verano

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 12:05:45 PM »
    Those erase entries are normal. These old DOS apps come from an era of tiny hard drives when space was precious, and it was a good idea to erase anything you didn't need.

It looks like the old Word 5 program files have been removed but not the folder and there are some doc files  left in the folder.

C:\Menu>CD|WORD5      < change to directory WORD5
    C:\WORD5>ERASE*.TMP   < erase any temporary files in that directory
    C:\WORD5>ERASE*.BAK   < erase any backup files made by Word
    FILE NOT FOUND        < probably because Word 5 is not there any more

1. I presume you put Word 5.5 in a named folder? What was that name?

2. In the root (top) folder of your C drive will be a file called AUTOEXEC.BAT. There may be others called WORD.BAT and MENU.BAT. You need to look in these. You could copy them to a floppy and post them on here.

hejlik

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
      « Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 02:23:34 PM »
      Well I thought I had saved it on a floppy because I did try to mess with it, but I look on the floppy with my xp computer, and it is not there.  I put it it the dos computer, and I see it???  Why is that?

Here is what the autoexec.bat file reads

PROMPT $p$g
      PATH C:\DOS;C:\WORD;C:\WORD.exe
      C:\DOS\MODE LPT1,,B
      SET NU=C:\NU
      SET TEMP C:\DOS
      C:\DOS\SMARTDRV C a- b-
      cls
      go

This is after I did some changes to it.  I was very leary (sp?) of changing this file. That is why I backed it up. What I changed didn't help, but didn't seem to hurt either.

The only line I changed was the second one.  There is still a file on the c: that reads AUTOEXEC OLD but I can't figure out how to open it.  I assume that is the original autoexec.bat file. Then I could have shown you exactly what I changed.

I forgot to tell you I named the new directory WORD

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:58:39 PM by hejlik »
      Dan

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

Dias de verano

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »
      is there a file called go.bat on the C drive of the DOS computer?

hejlik

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
        « Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »
        The only bat file I see is the autoexec.bat  Would it be in another directory?  I will look but here are some other directories on the dos pc

CHECKIT
        AUTOMAP
        DOS
        GLXFONTS
        MENU
        NU
        WKEEP
        GKEEP

That is most of them.
        Dan

hejlik

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
          « Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 03:09:21 PM »
          There is a go.bat in the dos directory Here is what it reads.

echo off
          cls
          c:
          cd\menu
          xmenu
          be beep/D2/F1000
          be beep/D3/F500
          be beep/d2/F1000
          Echo .
          Dan

Dias de verano

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 03:52:32 PM »
          so there is either a menu.bat or menu.exe file in the folder c:\menu.

If it is a bat file you can edit it to point to the Word 5.5 executable.

If it is an exe file I would consider renaming the old Word directory to something else, and then renaming the Word 5.5 directory to match the old Word directory name. That way the menu app will be fooled.

hejlik

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
            « Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 04:56:53 PM »
            It is a menu.exe  The old word directory is word5  The new one is word.

I tried to rename the word5 directory, but I don't think I am doing it right. Her is what I typed

c:\ren word5 word2 

That didn't work. It told me it was a duplicate file or file not found. I tried a few other ways but I am just guessing here. Google was some help, but I still could not figure it out.
            Dan

hejlik

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
              « Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 07:41:42 PM »
              Well I have everything moved, but I still can't get the program to word from the menu. This isn't the worst thing, but it would be nice. Any more suggestions?
              Dan

Dias de verano

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 11:41:16 PM »
              To rename a directory in DOS, you use the MOVE command.

MOVE word5 word2

MOVE word word5

hejlik

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
                « Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 05:07:08 AM »
                Thanks Dias de verano, I finaly figured that out with the help of google. 

I got everything moved, but the menu still does not work. It tries to load, but quits, and then the screen goes by so fast I can't read what it says. Unless you have another Idea, I think I will just have to leave it the way it is.
                Dan

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 12:49:02 PM »

Try to change this to: PATH C:\DOS;C:\WORD\word

And see what happens. Make a backup first.
                How are you editing your autoexec. ? ?Autoexec.old should open with whatever text editor you are using.

Also from the C: prompt try this CD\C:\Word.......at the C:\Word prompt just type Word and hit enter and see if it runs.

Were any changes made in the config.sys ? ?
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dias de verano

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 12:59:40 PM »

That PATH variable looks odd, and suggests that an inexpert hand has been at work... The purpose of the PATH variable is to inform the system where to look for an executable file (.exe, .bat or .com) if it is not found in the current folder. It is a list of directories and as such should not contain the name of a file.

I would like to know the result of typing VER at the prompt?

hejlik

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
                  « Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 02:32:42 PM »
                  MS-DOS Version 6.00
                  Dan

hejlik

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
                    « Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 05:41:29 PM »
                    Got it working.   Thanks for all the help guys!!
                    Dan