Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Annoying when I boot up  (Read 21942 times)

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

Annoying when I boot up
    « on: February 09, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
     ???OK, just this morning I get this message as my computer is booting up that when I went to msconfig (of which I believe I changed nothing) said I needed to go back and change some settings from selective start up to normal. So, I changed from selective to normal start up. and now I get this screen (note pad note) of which I will try to attache. So, this may be simple to fix no brain drain here.

[file cleanup - saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Annoying when I boot up
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 11:27:43 AM »
    In msconfig, checkmark Selective mode again, restart computer.
    When the message about using Selective mode pops-up (it's normal), checkmark box "Don't show me this message again". Click OK.
    It won't bother you again.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:18:53 AM »
      Still coming back so I will just keep trying!! ???
      thefonz

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 11:33:59 AM »
        Well what can I do I even did a system restore to go back to yesterday the 9th but it stays.  I believe I am doing what I am told to do.

Going on DSL Monday but that won't help.  I probably need some more input.

thefonz:'(

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 11:46:22 AM »
          I suppose I should keep this thread going even though this is a different problem if indeed it is a problem.

It used to that at the bottom of the monitor screen when you were waiting for a web page to load there would be a blue load thing moving from left to right showing you that the page is loading.  I don't have this anymore.  The web pages does load and when it is finished it just comes up.

So, is this right or wrong?

Also still waiting for a response about the "annoying boot up" problem

I really do not know if this is all propper so if not someone will have to tell me so here is another problem:

I have an account with UTube and when I get an email from them about someone commenting about a movie I sent UTube is saying that I either do not have "Flash player" on my computer or I need to upgrade to the latest version.  I had no idea I needed flash player to view UTube.  This computer was given to me from my brother.  So, is flash important for Utube?

thefonz
          « Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 12:14:27 PM by thefonz »

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 12:10:51 PM »
          It's little bit unclear about that Notepad screen, you attached.
          At startup, you're getting Notepad pop-up, or where can you see that note?
          At what point of startup?

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 12:38:25 PM »
             The note pad pop up is the last of the boot up.  After I "X" it out I get the desk top and then business as normal.

Thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 01:08:36 PM »

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »
               ;DThank you!!!!!!!!! that microsoft site worked!!!

Like I said I am a novice at computers and when my brother gave this hp pavillian  7950 to me he had so much junk on this computer that I don't really need.  Much of the stuff I can't delete because it came with the computer that is probably on the XP disk.  When I try to delete in Add/delete it says I can't  If I ever have to reformat I copied "How I install XP" and I think first delete the HD

I went to UTube and looked for "Contact us" but it leads to nothing really to type them a note as to enquiring if I need "Flash"

thefonz 8)

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 04:14:47 PM »

OK THIS IS THE POP UP I GET WHEN I TRY TO PLAY A UTUBE MOVIE: see attachement.

IF YOU WANT TO SEE ANY OF MY WORK GO TO SEARCH ON UTUBE SITE:

harryfitzner1

Deerpark

Egghead
                  « Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 04:17:17 PM »
                  Click the "Get the latest Flash player" link and install it.
                  You need it in order to play the videos.
                  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                  Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 06:40:44 PM »
                    Thank you "DeerPark" that did the trick now tomorrow when I get "DSL" it should go faster.

Now I have a question for Mr. DeerPark or anyone out there.  This computer is old for my brother but new for me and I am cleaning it up.  I am told that sometimes when you go to msconfig and check the startup stuff sometimes there are entries check that should not be to make the computer more efficient so I am going to make two screen shots and just let me know if there are entries that I should uncheck.
                    I think that attachement 38 is reall all there is'

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    « Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 09:15:57 PM »
                    I'm glad, things started working for you.
                    As for your startups (msconfig), it's gonna be better readable, if you just post HijackThis log. This way, we'll see your startups, and at the same time, we'll see, if your computer is clean of "bad" guys.
                    Download HijackThis:
                    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hijackthis.html
                    and post its log.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 03:44:14 PM »
                      downloading HJT but I am also setting up for DSL but soon I will give you all the information you need.

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
                        • Computer Help Forum
                      « Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 05:00:04 PM »
                      I am also setting up for DSL
                      Must be exciting, huh? 8) 8) 8)

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 07:11:34 AM »
                        OK, here goes

Also another annoying thing is happening so I guess look for this if possible.  When I boot up now then click Windows Internet Exployer to get what I normally have is Google it will not come up. I go to tools>internet options and disconver to offten that there is another entry for home page which is:

awesomehomepage.com/newsletter.php?list=goodcleanvideos

I have to delete and type in Google.com again and it works but when I shut down most of the time but not all the time I loose google and  awesomehomepage comes back but never really shows up on the screen.  Hmmmmm The computer is slow and AVG or Spybot always finds nothing.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
                        Scan saved at 7:43:50 AM, on 2/12/2008
                        Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
                        MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16574)
                        Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
                        C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
                        C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
                        C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
                        C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
                        C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                        C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                        C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
                        C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
                        C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
                        C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
                        C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
                        C:\Program Files\Lexmark 2300 Series\lxcgmon.exe
                        C:\Program Files\Lexmark 2300 Series\ezprint.exe
                        C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
                        C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
                        C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
                        C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
                        C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
                        C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
                        C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcgcoms.exe
                        C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://awesomehomepage.com/newsletter.php?list=goodcleanvideos
                        R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                        R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                        R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                        R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                        R3 - URLSearchHook: &Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
                        F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=explorer.exe
                        O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
                        O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
                        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxcgmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 2300 Series\lxcgmon.exe"
                        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EzPrint] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 2300 Series\ezprint.exe"
                        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FaxCenterServer] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark Fax Solutions\fm3032.exe" /s
                        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
                        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXCGCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXCGtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
                        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
                        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SM1BG] C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
                        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
                        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WinUpdater] "C:\Program Files\WinUpdater\update.exe" /background
                        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                        O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [user32.dll] C:\Program Files\Video ActiveX Access\iesmn.exe
                        O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
                        O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
                        O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
                        O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
                        O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
                        O4 - Global Startup: Image Transfer.lnk = ?
                        O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
                        O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
                        O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
                        O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
                        O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
                        O16 - DPF: {4CCA4E80-9259-11D9-AC6E-444553544200} - http://h30155.www3.hp.com/ediags/dd/install/HPInstallMgr_v01_4.cab
                        O16 - DPF: {55027008-315F-4F45-BBC3-8BE119764741} (Slide Image Uploader Control) - http://www.slide.com/uploader/SlideImageUploader.cab
                        O16 - DPF: {6B75345B-AA36-438A-BBE6-4078B4C6984D} - http://h20270.www2.hp.com/ediags/gmn2/install/HPProductDetection.cab
                        O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1199663954087
                        O16 - DPF: {6F750202-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Kodak Gallery Easy Upload Manager Class) - http://www.kodakgallery.com/downloads/BUM/BUM_WIN_IE_2/axofupld.cab
                        O16 - DPF: {ADACAA8F-3595-47FE-9C31-9C7471B9BEC7} (OCXDownloadChecker Control) - http://72.16.252.65/cab/OCXChecker_8000.cab
                        O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
                        O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
                        O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
                        O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
                        O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
                        O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
                        O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
                        O23 - Service: lxcg_device -   - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcgcoms.exe
                        O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

--
                        End of file - 6057 bytes

Broni

Mastermind
                          • Computer Help Forum
                        « Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 12:33:53 PM »
                        McAfee Site Advisor, says about
                        Code: [Select]
                        awesomehomepage.com:
                        In our tests, some downloads on this site tried to change our Web browser home page.
                        So, let me check the log.

Broni

Mastermind
                          • Computer Help Forum
                        « Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 12:42:15 PM »
                        *** Is your Windows firewall on?

*** Go here: http://www.javatester.org/version.html, and post back with your Java version

*** Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html)  to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
                            * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
                            * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
                            * Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
                            * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
                            * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
                            * When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
                            * Post that log back here.

Be sure to restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
                        Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

*** Post new HJT log.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 02:16:58 PM »
                          Well, exciting yes, but I am using a modem from Texas when I lived there and they said I could use it but it really is not supported by this area phone company so It was configured for "Broadband" through interned exployer instead of working entirely with the modem ( I don't really understand all of this)  The speed is supposed to be 250 kilo bits and my speed test is coming up at 156.5 kilo bits/second upload and 19.1 kilo bytes download. They are coming out Wednesday to check the integrity of the phone lines.  I may have to get their modem and get this you have to rent them but only 1.95 per month.  You don't need my email do you?

Broni

Mastermind
                            • Computer Help Forum
                          « Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
                          Email?

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 03:47:59 PM »
                            Downloaded malwarebites found 109 infections of which a log will be posted: Not sure if you want the log as an attachement , so that is what I will do.

Broni

Mastermind
                              • Computer Help Forum
                            « Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 03:57:41 PM »
                            Very well...
                            I need new HJT log.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
                              OK, I'll put it in as an attachement.

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
                                • Computer Help Forum
                              « Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 07:09:40 PM »
                              *** Is your Windows firewall on?

*** Go here: http://www.javatester.org/version.html, and post back with your Java version
                              ...while I'll be checking HJT log.

Broni

Mastermind
                                • Computer Help Forum
                              « Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 07:26:22 PM »
                              1. Print this post out, since you won't have an access to it, at some point.

2. Close all windows, except for HijackThis.

3. Put a checkmark next to the following HijackThis entries (some entries will be checkmarked to disable unnecessary startups; in those cases (marked with *), no actual program will be removed):

- *O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EzPrint] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 2300 Series\ezprint.exe"
                              - *O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
                              (disable these by - right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button in 'Startup and Recovery'. In the bottom pane - under 'Write debugging information' - click on the down arrow and then select 'None' - OK your way out)
                              - O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WinUpdater] "C:\Program Files\WinUpdater\update.exe" /background
                              - O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [user32.dll] C:\Program Files\Video ActiveX Access\iesmn.exe
                              - *O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
                              - O4 - Global Startup: Image Transfer.lnk = ?

4. Click on "Fix checked" button.

5. Restart your computer in Safe Mode (keep tapping F8 key, when your computer starts)

6. Open Windows Explorer. Go Tools>Folder Options>View tab, put a checkmark next to "Show hidden files, and folders".

7. Delete following files/folders (if present):

- WinUpdater, Video ActiveX Access folders from C:\Program Files

8. Turn off System Restore:

- Windows XP:
                                 1. Click Start.
                                 2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.
                                 3. Click the System Restore tab.
                                 4. Check "Turn off System Restore".
                                 5. Click Apply.   
                                 6.  When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.
                                 7. Click OK.
                              - Windows Vista:
                                 1. Click Start.
                                 2. Right-click the Computer icon, and then click Properties.
                                 3. Click on System Protection under the Tasks column on the left side
                                 4. Click on Continue on the "User Account Control" window that pops up
                                 5. Under the System Protection tab, find Available Disks
                                 6. Uncheck the box for any drive you wish to disable system restore on (in most cases, drive "C:")
                                 7. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click "Turn System Restore Off" on the popup window to do this.
                                 8. Click OK

9. Restart in Normal Mode.

10. Turn System Restore on.

11. Post new HijackThis log.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 09:09:55 AM »
                                 :oMr. Broni,  I clicked the "Fix" button and restarted my computer in safe mode and opened windows exployer went to tools> but no view tab so I am at a stand still with the rest of things to do. I am greatly plagued still the that:

It is to replace my google home page but really doesn't load.  I go to internet options and delete it re-type google for home page and apply and google stays on for awhile then it is again replaced by the "awesomehomepage"

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
                                  • Computer Help Forum
                                « Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 10:25:51 AM »
                                OK. One thing at a time...
                                As for your View tab missing...
                                Go Start>Run, type in:
                                regsvr32 /i browseui.dll (<----watch for TWO "spaces")
                                Click OK.
                                Type in:
                                regsvr32 /i shell32.dll (<----watch for TWO "spaces")
                                Click OK.

Restart computer. See, if View tab is back.
                                If it is, proceed with my previous instructions.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 02:10:29 PM »

The only item was #6 and I followed the directions in save mode and I could not get it to work.

Then I followed the other directions making sure the two spaces were correct and I did both and the prompt said it was successful so I went back and still no "View Tab"  but for now here is the latest Hijack this:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
                                  Scan saved at 2:58:05 PM, on 2/13/2008
                                  Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
                                  MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16608)
                                  Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
                                  C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
                                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
                                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
                                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
                                  C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
                                  C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
                                  C:\Program Files\Lexmark 2300 Series\lxcgmon.exe
                                  C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
                                  C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
                                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                                  C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
                                  C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
                                  C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
                                  C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
                                  C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
                                  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
                                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
                                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcgcoms.exe
                                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
                                  C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.centurytel.myway.com/
                                  R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                                  R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                                  R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                                  R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                                  R3 - URLSearchHook: &Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
                                  F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=explorer.exe
                                  O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
                                  O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
                                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxcgmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 2300 Series\lxcgmon.exe"
                                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FaxCenterServer] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark Fax Solutions\fm3032.exe" /s
                                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
                                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXCGCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXCGtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
                                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SM1BG] C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
                                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
                                  O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                                  O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
                                  O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
                                  O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
                                  O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
                                  O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
                                  O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
                                  O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
                                  O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
                                  O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
                                  O16 - DPF: {4CCA4E80-9259-11D9-AC6E-444553544200} - http://h30155.www3.hp.com/ediags/dd/install/HPInstallMgr_v01_4.cab
                                  O16 - DPF: {55027008-315F-4F45-BBC3-8BE119764741} (Slide Image Uploader Control) - http://www.slide.com/uploader/SlideImageUploader.cab
                                  O16 - DPF: {6B75345B-AA36-438A-BBE6-4078B4C6984D} - http://h20270.www2.hp.com/ediags/gmn2/install/HPProductDetection.cab
                                  O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1199663954087
                                  O16 - DPF: {6F750202-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Kodak Gallery Easy Upload Manager Class) - http://www.kodakgallery.com/downloads/BUM/BUM_WIN_IE_2/axofupld.cab
                                  O16 - DPF: {ADACAA8F-3595-47FE-9C31-9C7471B9BEC7} (OCXDownloadChecker Control) - http://72.16.252.65/cab/OCXChecker_8000.cab
                                  O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
                                  O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
                                  O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
                                  O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
                                  O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
                                  O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
                                  O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
                                  O23 - Service: lxcg_device -   - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcgcoms.exe
                                  O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

--
                                  End of file - 5559 bytes

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
                                    • Computer Help Forum
                                  « Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 02:25:04 PM »
                                  The log is clean.
                                  Open Windows Explorer, and make sure...
                                  WinUpdater, Video ActiveX Access folders are gone from C:\Program Files
                                  If not delete, them.

When you're done:
                                  Download, and install CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds. Get "Slim" version.
                                  Read CCleaner instruction here: http://www.jahewi.nl/ccleaner/ccleaner.html, and run CCleaner

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 05:55:40 PM »
                                    Mr. Broni, all is done and it seems to be running somewhat faster.  I could look into some more RAM .  This computer has only 384 and I should at least have 512.  It could go up to 1 gig but that might be too much for me.  Can I keep the 384 and just add to it or what.

Now if you find anything on that:

It keeps popping up so if you find anything on this let me know and I want to thank you so so much for helping me out.  This was quite an experience for me!

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
                                      • Computer Help Forum
                                    « Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 06:51:30 PM »
                                    Yeah, 1GB of RAM would be great, 512MB, I'd call a good minimum. Go to www.crucial.com, and check the prices.

As for your pop-ups....Do you have pop-up blocker on in Internet Explorer?
                                    On the Tools menu, point to Pop-up Blocker, and then click Turn On Pop-up Blocker

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 04:36:29 PM »
                                      I don't know if you are going to see this since we are tech. finished but first that annoying home page seems to have gone for now but my wife mostly and somewhat me feel that this computer still is slow and especially my wifes Yahoo email.  Loging in is not to much a problem but when it comes to opening up an email she and I wait and we wait and we wait.  So for now we just give up on Yahoo.  Now is there something bad about Yahoo email?  I heard that Yahoo is nortourius for spyware etc.  Is this true?  Next week or sooner I am thinking about learning all about formating this XP myself, because "I WILL NOT SPEND $99 + TX" to have some repair place do it.  This very site computer hope has a section on reformating and I printed it out and it seems straight forward.  If I can clean out the sectors etc. and hopely do it right I will see if this lower speed with this phone company is worth it.  I have done speed tests and I should be getting 250 Kilo bits  and the last time I did a speed tests it was 156.5.  and the center where they, the phone company is just down the street.  So what is your take on all this.  I could wait for the format until next weekend because my daughters boyfriend is coming down from Texas for a brithday, daughters, and he built her a computer which will be very fast and we could hook hers up to this set up and see the difference if at all.

thefonz ???

Broni

Mastermind
                                        • Computer Help Forum
                                      « Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »
                                      Now is there something bad about Yahoo email?  I heard that Yahoo is nortourius for spyware etc.  Is this true?
                                      Never heard of it...

Try one more thing...
                                      Download, and install TCP Optimizer: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
                                      Open it, and put a checkmark in Optimal Settings. Click Apply changes button.
                                      Restart computer, and see if it helped with your speed.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 03:17:58 PM »
                                        That seemed to have worked and I also did something extra.  With CCleaner I configured it to clean automatically and actually I am using everything so when I turn on the computer every morning it is virtually a clean computer and the last time I checked the speed it 271 megabites download when it rated at only 250.

thefonz 8) ;D

Broni

Mastermind
                                          • Computer Help Forum
                                        « Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 06:37:50 PM »
                                        Very nice :)

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 08:51:32 AM »
                                          Mr. Broni,

Where on my XP Home edition can I find out what kind of a video card I have and the drivers.  I see that my brother when he had this computer had it said to automatically check for up dates everyday at 10am.  Is there a windows default driver on this computer incase I really do not have a diver at all?

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
                                            • Computer Help Forum
                                          « Reply #36 on: February 16, 2008, 10:30:34 AM »
                                          Where on my XP Home edition can I find out what kind of a video card I have and the drivers.
                                          Go Start>Run, type in:
                                          devmgmt.msc
                                          Click OK.
                                          Device Manager will open. Look under Display Adapters

I see that my brother when he had this computer had it said to automatically check for up dates everyday at 10am
                                          Updates for what?

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2008, 11:23:18 AM »
                                            You asked me "Updates for what?"  Well, considering the computer was make in 2001 and I have the origional XP Home edition CD it might have the origional windows driver for whatever the compter needs to work for that period.  I will email him, my brother, and ask if he EVER re-formated years after 2001 which would mean when he formatted he put the origional works back in the computer.  I did notice he had set the computer to automatic check for updates so I would have to give him some credit for that.

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
                                              • Computer Help Forum
                                            « Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 05:14:31 PM »
                                            Oh, Windows updates...your brother did well.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 05:46:13 PM »
                                              I think that over all the computer is doing well except the speed is slow but I really think that is what we bought which is the 256 killo speed but when I do a speed check it was the last time 267 upload and 135 down.  Yahoo is just not working right I can get the sight and look at the messages but when I click one it will not open up but then it is the same with the 98se on dial up.  I am going to try dial up with this XP and see if it is the same.

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
                                                • Computer Help Forum
                                              « Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 05:56:48 PM »
                                              Well, you're getting promised speed, so I'm not sure what else can be done...

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2008, 08:21:35 AM »
                                                Yes, you are right about the speed and I am happy for that and I suppose the sometimes30 second wait for a page to load is just the speed that I have purchased.  That program called Ccleaner is wonderful I have set it up to clean up the computer when I boot up each morning except for the history items but the auto complete seemed to always go also so I need to look into that.

Here is an item that may or may not be nothing.  The AVG virus program.  When I do a virus scan there is this item up at the top that always says the same each and everytime.  I saved it for an attachement for you to observe.  I am only concerned because on the windows 98se AVG that notation at the top is not there so I was wondering if that is a concern especially when it says "Change"  but not much to go on to research this for me though. ;D

thefonz :-\

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2008, 08:26:31 AM »
                                                   ???I went to look at the post and when I clicked the attachement it first went to a screen for letting me, you know, choose what I want to select to show a protram etc. then when I close out on the pop up it brings me to the attachement I wanted in the first place.  Strange?

thefonz 8) ???

patio

• Genius
                                                  • Maud' Dib
                                                    • Yes
                                                  • Experience: Beginner
                                                  « Reply #43 on: February 17, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »
                                                  This is normal AVG behaviour...it doesn't happen on the Win98 machine because it may not have a hosts file.
                                                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »
                                                    This is normal AVG behaviour...it doesn't happen on the Win98 machine because it may not have a hosts file.
                                                     because it may not have a hosts file. What is a host file?  Thanks for answering so quickly.

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
                                                      • Computer Help Forum
                                                    « Reply #45 on: February 17, 2008, 11:56:53 AM »
                                                    Wikipedia is your friend:
                                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
                                                    Actually Win 98 does have "hosts" file, but as patio said, AVG normal behavior.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »
                                                      OK, I believe you!!! ???
                                                      Not sure I understand but as long as it is normal!!

thefonz 8)

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2008, 03:04:19 PM »
                                                        Mr. Broni,

This is probably not really your job since technically you are finished with me but that "Malware" program you had me download I think was probably a one time deal right?  Cause it is Shareware.  I found another Malware program and it looks free and good and I was wondering if you could look at it.  I think that probably anyprogram you download even from Major Geeks could also possibly have spyware, malware etc. in it and also they jive you with how great the program is and you download it and it does find some infections but they want you to purchase it to delete the infections.
                                                        http://www.malware-wipe-removal.com.removal-instructions.com/removeMalware_Wipe.html

Thats the URL and I do not know how to put it own in blue so you can click it so you will have to copy and paste.

If you can not do this I will understand.

thefonz 8) ;D

Broni

Mastermind
                                                          • Computer Help Forum
                                                        « Reply #48 on: February 17, 2008, 07:48:27 PM »
                                                        but that "Malware" program you had me download I think was probably a one time deal right?
                                                        Which one do you have in mind?

As for the other download, if you want your computer to stay healthy, don't download anything not recommended around this site, so my answer is NO.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2008, 09:46:14 PM »
                                                          OK, I will not download that program I was just looking for software for my virus tool box but I will do as you advize.

The program that I  downloaded which was a tremendous help and it found 109 infections  is shareware and yes I suppose I could find some $$ in next months budget to purchase it and this is the name of it I am keeping it for now I have used it a few times since and it is now showing no infections which is good ofcourse!

malewarebytes'-antimalware

Broni

Mastermind
                                                            • Computer Help Forum
                                                          « Reply #50 on: February 17, 2008, 09:53:06 PM »
                                                          Malwarebytes is free to keep, unless you want real-time protection, and automatic updates.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2008, 10:16:32 PM »
                                                            Thanks and if I have anyother questions I will post!!

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
                                                              • Computer Help Forum
                                                            « Reply #52 on: February 17, 2008, 10:20:09 PM »
                                                            You're welcome back any time.