Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restore points not working on windows xp  (Read 29024 times)

sahmo4

Topic Starter

Beginner

Restore points not working on windows xp
    « on: February 12, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »
    Hello all,

I first want to thank you for all of the help I've gotten reading your responses. In particular, the information on "Windows Update Failure".

Now, here's my problem.  I successfully updated windows from windowsupdate.com, and set about cleaning up the files on my computer and hard drive.  After uninstalling old programs and installing the more current ones, running windows update for all applicable software, hardware, etc., I finally got my computer to where I needed it to be.

The problem is this, while adjusting the settings for my children's log in, and trying to hide files I did not want them to access - I did this on the desktop and in the start>all programs menu.  I did not realize this would make them disappear.

I lost desktop icons and links from the start menu.  I have tried all of the show files, unhide files, search for hidden files fixes and to no avail.  I even at last resort, tried to do a system restore.  The message I get after rebooting is "Your computer cannot restore to (whichever point I chose). No changes have been made on your computer"  I even went back 3 days.

I thought it could at least take me back to when I updated from the first issue.  I'm pretty intelligent and catch on quick, however unless I have step by step instructions, I cannot fix, correct or otherwise do anything technical with my computer.  So, please feel free to list tasks in the order they need to be done. Even sub-tasks ie:  1, 1.2, 1.3, 2, 2,1 etc.

Now I need to say this, what originally brought me to your site was I paid a computer company - very reputable - to clean the viruses that had invaded my computer, they felt pity on me and upgraded me to windows xp sp2 for free. However, when I got my computer back, I couldn't access click thru pages online  and the updates from windows weren't taking.  You guys/girls  helped me out then, so, I am hoping you can and will help me out now.

I have 4 children who all need this 1 computer for school and I need it for work. Hence me trying to hide files so they couldn't access.  I work part-time and am now running late. 

Please help me,  I am ready to tear out my hair, and throw something that will break.   I hope I included enough information.  If I have not, please tell me what to include.  Should be home from work in about 3 hours.
    Thank you sooooo muuuuch.

sahmo4

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Restore points not working on windows xp
      « Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:09:12 AM »
      Hello all, 

when I posted this earlier, I locked the message not knowing it would keep me from getting replies.

Sorry about that.  I think I fixed the problem so that I can receive replies.

Sorry again.  Please reply.

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:16:06 AM »
        You will need to tell us what you did to hide the icons on your desktop and start menu.
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

sahmo4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:56:55 AM »
          Thanks for the response.

First I right-clicked on the desktop icon, went in to properties, on the general tab I checked the read-only box and the hide box.

On the start menu I did the same thing for the same program.

Upon further searching, the computer can find the file when I search for hidden files, however when I try to restore them or add a desktop shortcut, it is not happening.

My biggest question is why the computer is not actually processing when I try to do a system restore.  I even tried to restore to the point the computer created after an update from windows.com.

That restore point is called Software Distribution Service 3.0.

Thanks

Deerpark

Egghead
            « Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 12:19:50 PM »
            System Restore doesn't register a few hidden icons as a system change. So it is not letting you go back because nothing has changed.
            To make your files reappear double click My Computer to open Windows Explorer.
            Select Tools --> Folder Options
            Select the View tab
            Click Show hidden files and folders.
            Hit OK a couple of times to close all open menus.
            All hidden files are now visible.

sahmo4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:27:47 PM »
              Thanks, I did try that before posting, along with that I also unchecked the hide extesions and unchecked the hide operating files.  All to no avail.

That is why I finally tried to do a system retore from restore points.

Deerpark

Egghead
                « Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 12:41:15 PM »
                And you're unable to create new desktop shortcuts?
                You've done more than just hide icons then, because merely hiding icons would never make you unable to create new ones.
                Have you deleted any files?

sahmo4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 12:54:44 PM »
                  The only files I recall deleting were adobe5, wordperfect/corell suite, office pre-2003 ( it was just a shell, I couldn't actually use any programs), and some pre-installed programs that came with the computer.  the computer was originally windows 2000 operating system, and had programs with a creation date of 2001.

I did disk cleanup and de-frag after I updated from the windows. com, and before deleting anything; because I knew that would create a restore point by the computer.

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Kraków my love :)
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  • Computer: Specs
                  • Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 01:35:52 PM »
                  I recall deleting
                  ...deleting, or uninstalling?
                  I'm still unclear what is the current status of your computer.
                  What exactly you can't do, or you can't see?

sahmo4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 04:07:03 PM »
                    Some of the items I uninstalled and upon reboot if the folders were still there but empty, I deleted them. 

The problem I am having is launching the programs in the folders I was trying to hide from my children's view.

Whenever I double-click on the folder, instead of launching, my search window comes up. Also, I can't seem to send a shortcut to desktop to help me launch the programs. I can't seem to get the files to come out of hiding either.

I'm begining to think that maybe a system recovery or re-install may be my only option.  I have tried to use restore points, but, as I stated earlier, that is not working either.

Broni

Mastermind
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    « Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 04:16:13 PM »
                    Go Start>Run, and type in:
                    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
                    Click OK.
                    Restart computer.

sahmo4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 04:56:05 PM »
                      I did that and a box popped up.

In the top it said "RegSvr32"

On the inside it had a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark, and this message:

No DLL name specified

Usage: regsvr32 [/u] [/s] [/n] [/i[:cmdline]] dllname
                       /u -          Unregister server
                       /s -          Silent; display no message boxes
                       /i -           Call Dll Install passing it an optional [cmdline]; when used with /u calls dll uninstall
                      /n -           do not call Dll Register Server; this option must be used with /i

OK (button)

I typed the message exactly as it appeared inside the box, no more and no less.

Broni

Mastermind
                        • Computer Help Forum
                      « Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 05:18:19 PM »
                      You sure, you hit SPACE bar where necessary (~ = SPACE)
                      regsvr32~/i~shell32.dll

sahmo4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 05:42:56 PM »
                        OK I noticed the first space, but, not the second one.

I did it and got this message"DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll succeeded".

Thank you so much.  Now, does this mean I can now do a system retore from a previous restore point, recreate desktop icons and unhide folders, or what.

I am afraid to do anything on my own to get back to where I was before I obviously screwed something up. Especially, since I don't remember what I did to screw things up.

Also, since your'e my resident genious  ;SMILE - there has got to be another way to restrict my children from seeing and/or affecting my programs and files, besides what I tried with the hiding thing - that obviously didn't work for me.

I appreciate you helping me and making it plain. BIG SMILE

Broni

Mastermind
                          • Computer Help Forum
                        « Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 06:26:26 PM »
                        does this mean I can now do a system retore from a previous restore point
                        The above command was one of possibilities to get your System Restore function back, so you can safely try it, and see, if it works.
                        We have to fix your main issue before we go to hide-and seek stuff.