Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WinXP NTLDR is Missing  (Read 3303 times)

Tim Updegrove

WinXP NTLDR is Missing
« on: January 14, 2005, 08:56:46 AM »
I've read the help pages on NTLDR is Missing and various commands for the WinXP Recovery Console but have a few specific questions.

First here is what got me into this mess.  WinXP SP2 was running okay on SATA 200GB drive "c:" with 100GB of files.  IDE 80GB drive "d" has data only.  I moved 90GB of data from c: to an external firewire drive so that c: only has 10GB.  Defragmented c:  Installed Ghost 2003 and attempted to backup c: to an internal IDE DVD drive.  When Ghost booted to PC DOS, it hung.  Rebooting the PC continued to bring up PC DOS and when attempting to return to Windows, it didn't work and nothing was even displayed on the screen.  (I should have quit at this point , gone to bed, and used a Ghost Recovery/Rescue Disk in the morning!)  I disconnected the external firewire drive and IDE "d" drive.  Used XP CD to run Recovery Console, (now beyond my knowledge) I entered FIXBOOT with no parameter and rebooted.  PC DOS didn't start, which was good, but NTLDR is Missing msg was displayed.  Using Recovery Console again, I entered FIXMBR (not really sure of the parameter that I used but it wasn't \Device\HardDisk0).  At some point in Recovery Console, I noticed there was a small c: 8MB (I think) or so partition and a 10GB d: partition.  I believe the prompt in Recovery Console is D:\Windows.

I'm a little confused on why there is a c: and d: partition.  I would have only expected a c: partition and a C:\Windows prompt since the SATA c: drive was a single partition in WinXP before my troubles.

Would someone be kind enough to list the Recovery Console commands and parameters needed to restore my stupid/tired entries?  I realize the commands probably involve FIXBOOT, MAP, FIXMBR, BOOTCFG, etc but I'm not sure of all the parameters and order.

A huge thank-you in-advance for any help!

Tim

merlin_2