Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: fsb and speed  (Read 3627 times)

varun

Topic Starter

Beginner

fsb and speed
    « on: February 25, 2008, 11:45:36 AM »
     i want to know wat role fsb play in speed...

actually a dealer told me tat a dell lap have 800 fsb while other all 667....
    so dell give more speed....  also real cor2duo proc. should hav 800 fsb...
    but in tat lap proc clock speed is 1.4 ghz...

what i know is tat speed is depend on tat clock speed and not on fsb....

so wat role fsb play...

and cost increase due to clock speed or fsb....

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: fsb and speed
      « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 12:06:06 PM »
      First of all I think you need to have your h key replaced, it appears to be broken.

The main purpose of the FSB or front Side Bus is to connect the processor with the main memory aka RAM and AGP / PCI Express graphics card bus.
      So generally speaking, the higher the FSB the faster access can be to memory and graphics hardware.
      That's just one side of it though. In order to fully utilize a fast FSB the other hardware component also need to be working at the same clock speed. If you have a processor and motherboard that supports a 800 mhz FSB you're only going to see the full performance with RAM working at 800 mhz as well.

actually a dealer told me tat a dell lap have 800 fsb while other all 667....
      so dell give more speed....  also real cor2duo proc. should hav 800 fsb...
      This guy was trying to sell you a Dell huh?
      Never trust a word that man say ever again, because he is either completely incompetent or flat out lying to you.
      Not all Dells run with a 800 mhz FSB and all other laptops doesn't have 667 mhz FSB. It completely depends on the motherboard/processor combination. There are plenty of non Dell laptops with 800 mhz FSBs and some even faster. I believe the fastest Core 2s supports a 1600 mhz FSB, but I'm not sure those have been made in a laptop version.

and cost increase due to clock speed or fsb....
      Both, the two can't be separated.
      « Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:37:11 PM by Deerpark »
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)