Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xcopy problem...  (Read 6458 times)

SOAP

Topic Starter

Beginner

xcopy problem...
    « on: February 18, 2008, 06:57:29 PM »
    I recently made a batch file that would copy and replace a file on a floppy (i used the same file a lot). It saved me some time and it works great. I decided to switch to a usb stick, but when i changed that command to copy it to my usb stick it cam up with a message saying 'ACCESS DENIED'. Any help?
    Also, when i manually went to my computer and copied it over it sayed something 'like to copy this over you will lose your encryption'. Is there some protection that Microsoft made that doesn't let you do that?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: xcopy problem...
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 01:50:49 AM »
    Googled?  Lots of info on the WWW.  Does the usb stick work on another pc?  Is the stick formatted? etc...  See >>here<<

Good luck.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

3ddy

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 04:21:53 AM »
      some memory sticks do have a protection lock on the side or back end, the lock is just like the lock that you see on a stiffy disk

SOAP

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 04:08:21 PM »
        Sorry i should have clarified more. The usb drive works on other computers and i was able to copy the files manually over but it came up with a message saying ' if you copy this over your encryption will be lost pess ok to copy' (or something like that).
        Any help?

Also, Dusty thanks for t he link but it is exactly the opposite. I can access my usb drive in explorer but not in cmd.
        « Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:48:27 PM by SOAP »

3ddy

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:33:39 AM »
          Did the memory stick come with any utilities already on it?

SOAP

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 05:29:30 PM »
            no. I think it has something to do with my specific computer. But to be sure i'm going to try the xcopy command on a diffrent one.

3ddy

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 11:13:58 PM »
              Will be interesting to see what happens

GuruGary

Adviser
                « Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »
                Is this under Windows XP?  It sounds like you may have said "Yes" to the question "Do you want to make this folder private" option which encrypts your files under Windows XP.  The encryption can by carried between NTFS volumes, but USB drives are usually FAT or FAT32 which does not support encryption.  Try disabling encryption on your "My Documents" (right-click -> Properties).

lgbailey

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »
                I am using xcopy to backup some local file to a network drive.  I would like to use the "Exclude" switch of xcopy, but so far have been unsuccessful.  Must be a syntax problem, I'd guess.  Ideally, I would like to exclude an entire folder, but excluding a list of file types would be my second solution choice.
                This is my command line (in a batch file):

xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\ken.DWDOMAIN\*.*" "G:\FORMS\ken\Kens Bkup from Local\DocsAndSettings-KenDWDOMAIN\" /e/y/EXCLUDE:\My Music\

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »
                Try XXCopy from http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

Good luck.
                One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.