Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CAN NOT GET THE COMPUTER TO WORK! HELP!  (Read 5658 times)

xstrangerx

CAN NOT GET THE COMPUTER TO WORK! HELP!
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:02:08 PM »
I am not very good at fixing computer problems.. and my warranty expired... I have a windows XP dimension E310 (dell computer). yesterday my brother just turned the computer off by pushing the button on the CPU. This morning I tired to turn the computer on and every time a blue screen pops up after a few second saying that the computer has detected a problem and needs to shut down in order to prevent damage and the error is: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

and if you see this message for the first time restart the computer.... but every time I turn it on the blue error screen wont go away, I even tried to turn it on SAFE MODE.. even that doesnt work... Anyone have any clue what the problem is or how to fix it??? Or any other tip and help?? ???

Thanks for your help in advace!

Helpdeskian

Re: CAN NOT GET THE COMPUTER TO WORK! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 05:08:55 PM »
there is a lot of information on this in the FAQ Database. if you look in there you will find tools and links to fix this. To give you a headstart do you have the xp disc? it sounds like you probably have a system file missing or corrupt. here is a link from the FAQ page about running a repair. http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You should be getting an error message in white letters on that blue screen??

Let me know if this helps.

liambiscuit

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:34:49 PM »
    This has NO research or looking-up involved, it is strictly from memory, so i may be off on a bit:

First of all is it a notebook or a desktop? (too lazy to google the title :) )

(MOST LIKELY!!)Would you happen to have XP/Vista/Me/2000/3.1's :P (jk) install disk? just pop it in and either do a system repair or reinstall the OS withought deleting files...

The Hard drive could have just DIED...

The Hard Drive could be disconnected  (but i dobut it unless you ever took the cover of the PC off)

Corrupted Boot.Ini file... but that is probably the least likely because it shows a different error... and i cant be 100% sure unless you describe your problem in explicit detail. and if it ever is you will need to disconnect the hd and all this that im not going to explain untill im sure it is this...

(second most likely, but i cant give detail unless i have the PC infront of me) Your computer got a virus... there are some that can, once your PC is off it cant reboot... But first do you get past the WIN XP loading screen with the bar? If you do read the next paragraph... if you dont skip it

In the loading screen press F5 (maybe F7) to go into safe mode and try to disable/remove the virus.

Otherwise your S-O-L buy a new PC.

Glad i could help :),
    ~Simitra

" When the rich wage war its the Poor who die "
            Linkin Park

Whoever said that nothing is impossible has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door. -- Lauren

You cannot buy your friends but you can buy them pizza - AzureBlade49

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 11:07:49 AM »
      Try the Windows Recovery Console.  Boot to your Windows XP disc and instead of performing an installation press R to choose the second option.  After you are in the Recovery Console type FIXBOOT.  This should repair a corrupted boot sector.  Reboot and see what you get.  If this doesn't do it go back into the Recovery Console and try typing FIXMBR.  If these don't do it a reinstall of the OS may be needed.  If the problem is reoccurring it could be the sign of a virus in the boot sector or a failing hard drive.  There's a lot to rule out before we give it up for dead.
      Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

liambiscuit

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:07:44 PM »
        Eg0Death that is exactly what i was saying :P...
                Linkin Park

Whoever said that nothing is impossible has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door. -- Lauren

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:11:43 AM »
          Eg0Death that is exactly what i was saying :P...
          I was just offering more explicit instructions.
          Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

liambiscuit

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 06:34:15 AM »
            0.o being a smart a-- are you now? lol jk

neways i think xstrangerx is gone he hasnt replied back...
                    Linkin Park

vettelady

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 02:08:56 PM »
              I am not very good at fixing computer problems.. and my warranty expired... I have a windows XP dimension E310 (dell computer). yesterday my brother just turned the computer off by pushing the button on the CPU. This morning I tired to turn the computer on and every time a blue screen pops up after a few second saying that the computer has detected a problem and needs to shut down in order to prevent damage and the error is: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

and if you see this message for the first time restart the computer.... but every time I turn it on the blue error screen wont go away, I even tried to turn it on SAFE MODE.. even that doesnt work... Anyone have any clue what the problem is or how to fix it??? Or any other tip and help?? ???

Thanks for your help in advace!

this is excatly the same problem i am having.
              so i am trying to use my recovery disk, but the screen keeps coming up "non-system disk or disk error

liambiscuit

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 09:18:39 PM »
                [quote author=vettelady link=topic=50555.msg318236#msg318236
                so i am trying to use my recovery disk, but the screen keeps coming up "non-system disk or disk error
                [/quote]

Hmm...
                Most probably a corrupted file... there is one other way... when you install windows (or when you purchase your pc) it creates (comes with) a 776 MiB partition that you cannot view going into My Computer... I'm not 100% sure how to access that partition... but you can search for 'windows recovery partition access' or something of the sort... Sorry i cant give explicit instructions... iv'e never had to repair my windows partitions... i only know because i upgraded from xp-vista (sucky decision i know)
                        Linkin Park

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 07:29:13 AM »

[quote author=vettelady link=topic=50555.msg318236#msg318236

Hmm...
                Most probably a corrupted file... there is one other way... when you install windows (or when you purchase your pc) it creates (comes with) a 776 MiB partition that you cannot view going into My Computer... I'm not 100% sure how to access that partition... but you can search for 'windows recovery partition access' or something of the sort... Sorry i cant give explicit instructions... iv'e never had to repair my windows partitions... i only know because i upgraded from xp-vista (sucky decision i know)
                [/quote]

Recovery partitions are installed by the computer manufacturer, not windows setup.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.