Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't boot, windows XP  (Read 2115 times)

Twannap

Can't boot, windows XP
« on: February 25, 2008, 09:16:24 AM »
O.K. this might not be a new topic but since I can't find an old topic with a working solution I'm re-opening this issue.

I have a computer that won't boot up with windows XP. It won't boot in the safe mode when I choose it off the boot list.  It won't boot from the last successfull boot config and it starts to boot from the cd rom and then stops to give me the same message it gives when trying to boot:  "Windows was stopped due to a detected error." I get this message over and over.  It doesn't tell me that anything is missing.  Just the big blue screen.  It does tell me to try booting from the cd rom or running a virus scan which I can't do because I can't boot.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
    • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can't boot, windows XP
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:23:26 AM »
Isnt it a hardware problem?
"Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
--Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

Twannap

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:31:41 AM »
I don't know if it's a hardware problem or not.  Everything appears to be working correctly.  My next thought is to purchase a new hard drive it all else fails.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:36:01 AM »
Could you post in the message written when your computer turns blue screen.. If its possible...
"Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
--Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

alokshome

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:47:45 AM »
If its a blue screen it may be a confilt H/w to h/w or s/w to s/w....please do a power cycle..unplug everything other then the mouse and keyboard and restart the system ..in last know good configurations

Twannap

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 10:40:49 AM »
I disconnected all hardware and rebooted, I get the blue screen with the same message.

When I turn the computer on I get the Dell logo and then a black screen that tell me that it can't find my floppy drive: choose F1 to continue, I choose F1.

Then the next black screen says, Please select O/S to start
     -Win XP media center
     -MS SP Prof

or choose F8.

It does not matter what option I choose, when it tries to boot I get the blue screen with the  msg.
     "Aproblem has been detected and windows has been shut down to  prevent damage to computer. . . Runc CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer. "

I can't run any thing at this point.  I can only re-start the pc.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:49:39 AM »
I disconnected all hardware and rebooted, I get the blue screen with the same message.

When I turn the computer on I get the Dell logo and then a black screen that tell me that it can't find my floppy drive: choose F1 to continue, I choose F1.

Then the next black screen says, Please select O/S to start
     -Win XP media center
     -MS SP Prof

or choose F8.

It does not matter what option I choose, when it tries to boot I get the blue screen with the  msg.
     "Aproblem has been detected and windows has been shut down to  prevent damage to computer. . . Runc CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer. "

I can't run any thing at this point.  I can only re-start the pc.

You may want to follow the instructions on the message.  You should have your O/S installer CD. Configure first your BIOS to boot first on CD. If you've  been able to boot from the cd, choose the repair option. Then just follow the instructions on it.
--Kuya Daniel Razon

Twannap

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 11:14:41 AM »
I tried running the repair or recovery feture from the cd but it request an "administrative password".  We don't have one, nor does anyone remember ever creating one.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 06:42:49 PM »
If you never set a password just hit Enter at the prompt...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "