Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wireless is connected, but can't get onto internet  (Read 2755 times)

Curt

wireless is connected, but can't get onto internet
« on: February 28, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »
Hello,

My home has a dsl connection. The connection is then hooked up to a 'LINKSYS wireless-G broadband router 2.4GHz'. One computer upstairs is hardwired into the router and recieves the connection perfectly. I have one laptop with windows vista and one desktop computer with XP downstairs. I started with the laptop, I received the wireless signal with no problems. The connection says, "Local only" I could not get onto the internet. It was connecting onto the router but would not actually connect to the net. I hardwired the laptop into the router, made a new broadband connection and  received the internet. I unplugged the ethernet cable and was still connected to the internet. From now on, I can connect to the broadband connection wireless.

Now the problems lies with my desktop downstairs. I bought a 'D-link wireless G usb 2.0 adapter' and installed it. Much like the laptop, I received the wireless signal right away. But, the connection couldn't connect to internet. I brought it upstairs, hardwire connected, made a broadband connection, and it worked. I unplugged the ethernet cable and still worked. Even logged off and back on and I was connected to the wireless internet. As soon as I unplugged it, brought it downstairs, and hooked it up again nothing changed from the start. The wireless was connected but not with the internet, and when I tried to connect using broadband connection ( Much like the laptop, which stills works) it tells me that it the cable is unplugged. I brought the system upstairs again to try to connect, than unplugged the cable but this time as soon as I unplugged the ethernet cable, the connection was lost.

Thanks

mr_skipper24

Beginner

Re: wireless is connected, but can't get onto internet
    « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 10:49:46 AM »
    Check the IP address of computer when its in wireless connection.