Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connected but not accessible  (Read 2492 times)

SuperConfused

Connected but not accessible
« on: March 06, 2008, 11:18:53 AM »
Last night my connection to the internet failed. Went through the steps I knew to reaccess and was successful. The kicker is that I cannot send and receive email nor access any web sites.

Subscriber to Comcast cable.
Landlord has one computer hardwired with an attached router and modem.
I am connected with a PlugLink directly into my Dell Dimension PC.
Use Windows XP, and Microsoft Outlook.
MacAffee Antivirus.

The PC is receiving data. Connection is fine.
Went through all checks with Comcast guy (pretty much what I found in the Q&A area on this site).
Network card appears to be working (light is lit).
Don't think is cable either and this is why: I pulled out my Laptop which gained access to the internet from the same signal from the Landlord's router. BUT I still could not send or receive email or access a webpage from my laptop. So I have the same conditions with both the PC and Laptop.

Saw the prior answer about DNS settings. While I believe all settings have been verified I will try this too when back at the PC.

Comcast uses Dynamic assignment of IP addresses. The IP address I verified with Comcast (beginning with 169) seemed to be a problem.

When through setup step by step with Comcast guy, everything appeared OK.

Repair utility tried multiple times and failed.

Uninstalled and reinstalled network card.

No problems identified in Device Manager.

I am even system restored both machines to prior dates when everything was working.

I am receiving email through my Blackberry, which is passed through by my PC!

What gives with my PC and Laptop?

Let me reiterate that both machines worked fine until last night.

While it is my notion that the PC is not accepting the signal from Comcast's signal how can this happen to both machines?

Of course, I don't know what to do with either.

mr_skipper24

Beginner

Re: Connected but not accessible
    « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 11:38:41 AM »
    One solution to this problem call comcast and register the LAN MAC address of your laptop. because the MAC address of you PC is register to the comcast server so when you connect the PC to the modem its ONLINE and when plug in the laptop it won't go online. Observe if  you connect the PC to the modem its getting an IP address and when you plugin the notebook its getting an IP address of 169.254.x.x.