Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP! OS 8.6  (Read 7829 times)

lachrist

Topic Starter

Starter

HELP! OS 8.6
    « on: February 29, 2008, 07:46:12 AM »
    Hi All,
    I am not familiar with apple at all. I need to get some information off of an old power mac G3. I have tried using a jump drive but figured out they only work with OS X or later. I do not have a floppy drive that works with this computer, so the only think I can think of is to e-mail the information to myself. I can connect to the internet but I am not able to get onto my hotmail account, also I have tried setting up Outlook with a different account but can not send or recieve any e-mails through that. This computer also has access to a network, but I am not sure how to get onto the network. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks!

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: HELP! OS 8.6
    « Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »
    Why are you not able to get to your hotmail account?  You need to give more information.  Is the page timing out?  Are you receiving an error message?

lachrist

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 11:57:58 AM »
      I will go to www.hotmail.com and the screen will just stay blank and nothing will load, so i'm assuming it is timing out? I am not receiving an error message at all

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »
      is it just hotmail.com that's doing that, or is it all websites?  I know you said you can connect to the internet, but I want to be sure we're on the same page.

lachrist

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:35:17 PM »
        Yes I can connect to the internet, i have tried hotmail.com and my schools website neither of them work. I went to google, which works and I searched for hotmail and the search worked and when I clicked on hotmail, the same blank page came up.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:03:59 PM »
        Sounds like you might be missing a component for your browser that's needed... but I wouldn't know for sure as I refuse to use hotmail.

What browser are you using? Also, what version is the browser?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
          • Yes
          • Technology News and Information
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 12:49:30 AM »
        It sounds like the cache should be cleared out.

(I cant recall off the top of my head how to do that.. unfortunately)

So, lets look at one last thing that should also be considered:
        Are you using the Classic version of MSN Hotmail? Or are you using the new "upgraded" version?

The older version, though it still works, will send you into a neverending redirect occasionally. This could be the problem as well. (Which, clearing the cache should help)

lachrist

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 06:06:33 PM »
          I am not sure what you mean about what version of hotmail I am using, I have just tried to got to www.hotmail.com and get into it, and the web page won't even load. I have also tried to get into my school e-mail account and my schools home page won't load either.
          I am not 100% sure what version of internet explorer I am using and I am not in town to look to that computer right now, but I do know that it is a pretty old version of explorer.

The reason that I need to get into some form of e-mail is because I need to transfer files from my mac to another computer, I don't have a cd burner on the mac and the floppy drive doesn't work. There is also a network that I can connect to but I do not know how to do that either, because as I said before I don't know anything about macs.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 07:39:06 AM »
          If you're using IE, I believe the way to clear out the cache is under edit --> preferences.  Look around in there for "delete temporary files," or something of that nature, and that should take care of your issue.